Which inboard genoa track?

Jan 7, 2012
catalina 22 Cave Run Lake
Setting my catalina up for racing/cruising and wanting to point higher to the wind. Looking at inboard tracks they come in either 2' length or 4' length. Which would be better suited for mainly racing? Any pros cons to different lengths? Thanks for your advice.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
I don't know about that, but Garhauer is great for tracks and components.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
It depends on the variety of jibs you plan to use, because the proper point of the fairlead will change. Longer is better, but then you still have to figure out the furthest point forward to start installing it.

Jan 7, 2012
catalina 22 Cave Run Lake
Will depend on the weather but unless it's blowing really hard it with be the 150 when I am racing, other times will be a 130 I think? Still have a lot to learn.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Will you ever be running your stock working jib 110%?

How high off the deck is the tack?

All these will figure into the geometry.

Dec 23, 2008
Catalina 22 Central Penna.
Where you will be racing, check with the club sponsoring the racing to see how they measure your boat and sails.

Using the standard cut jib and genoa the sheeting angle for the most power should be that the car is at the forward most position on your present track so, any additional track forward of this track would not be used unless you have special sails cut differently and that all comes into the racing rules where you will be racing.