Which cutoff Ball Valves do you close off when sailing

viper

Jul 31, 2016
Hunter 380 Cape Coral, Fl
What are the thru hull valves that you generally close before sailing?

For example, the fridge compressor water cooler line I would like to leave open, to run my Fridge....

Do you close all the sink drains.....

Regards

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
I close none, on the contrary I open up the one for the head intake which is the only one I close when the boat is left unattended. I inspect all thru hull valves, hoses and clamps periodically and the reason I close the head intake is that I cannot inspect the head's "O" rings and seals and will not trust them unless I'm present.

Mulf

Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 410 Chester, MD (Kent Island)
I only leave open thru hulls that are necessary at that time. In my case that is the engine and the generator. My fridge is air cooled. I almost never run the A.C. while underway. Sink and vanity thru hulls are opened only if necessary while under way and closed after use if still underway. Some might think I'm OCD but that floats my boat!

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
None are closed while sailing if I have them open for use. At anchor while ashore I leave everything open too. All are closed when I leave the boat for home.

TAK

Nov 29, 2009
Beneteau 381 Punta Gorda
I usually close the AC intake. Seems to help with the start up of the AC when returning to the dock (assuming I remember to open it again).

viper

Jul 31, 2016
Well it seems per manual and for liability excuses, you close them all.. other than engine... but in reality... who opens and close valves so some one can wash a dish or go to the toilet..... It storm conditions , maybe a much different story.

Regards,

Viper

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Below the waterline: Head, macerator and heat pump valves closed. Galley sink, engines, cockpit drains open while underway.

Above the waterline: Aft and forward head sinks closed because sea water will rush in when heeled to leeward starboard.

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
close any galley and head sink thru hulls that can go far below waterline when a sailboat heels. they can act as siphons to let water into the sink which then overflows into your bilge . that siphon action might sink your boat. thru hulls located on centerline of bottom of the hull , like head, AC and Refrig water supply inlets, need not be closed and are not a problem.

viper

Jul 31, 2016
Well, we seem to have found a topic, with no agreement,,,, from closing everything to closing nothing.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Every body has their own system for sure but opening and closing the values is a good thing for sure so that they don't get to the point where they don't open and close easy is what happens if you don't use them.
I normally were leaving everything open most of the time and what happened was 2 values started to get very hard to open and close and got so bad I was afraid it would break so I stopped and at my haul out for bottom job I took them all apart and lubed and to be on the safe side replace 2 of them and so I now close them when away from the boat but open and close them all.
I also replaced all the backing plates.
Nick

Attachments

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
If you recall from other posts, some people hate to drill a hole in the hull for ANY reason- even if just for screws. On top of that, if you make a hole an inch and bigger, then leave it open for water to maybe flood the boat, you have a real headache. IMHO, it is stupid to leave the boat floating and leave the thru hulls open when the boat is unused. It's inviting disaster. You can prepare for the expected, but you need to also prepare for the unexpected.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Whatever floats your boat. The reason that most people that close their thru-hull valves do it is to prevent flooding should a hose or clamp fail. In my case I prefer to rely on frequent inspections of the valves, hoses and clamps. During these inspections valves are exercised to insure they are in proper working condition. Like I said before the head is an exception as internal leaks can flood the bowl and the boat. But when I'm aboard and sailing the head intake valve is open for use. I learned the hard way after one night around 3:00 AM I stepped out of the bunk into ankle deep water. A guest had fiddled with the wet/dry flush valve and left it in a position where water was overflowing out of the bowl. Closing the valves just seem to promote fouled impellers and unnecessary routines without adding any degree of safety. Of course if it makes feel better by all means do them.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
IMHO, it is stupid to leave the boat floating and leave the thru hulls open when the boat is unused. It's inviting disaster. You can prepare for the expected, but you need to also prepare for the unexpected.
Don't think anyone suggested leaving them open when away but I suspect many people do just that. I am always tempted to ask why they leave them open all the time but I think the answer is obvious...:banghead:

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
I learned the hard way after one night around 3:00 AM I stepped out of the bunk into ankle deep water. A guest had fiddled with the wet/dry flush valve and left it in a position where water was overflowing out of the bowl.
You were lucky that you were aboard when it happened...if you and that guest had left the boat, it would have sunk in its slip. Relying on the wet/dry valve to keep water outside the boat from seeking its own level INSIDE the boat is playing Russian roulette. What's needed that you obviously don't have--and what you'll see in the installation instructions for EVERY sea water toilet installed at or below waterline--is a vented loop in the intake, installed between the pump and the bowl...which requires replacing the short piece of hose the mfr used to connect them with lines long enough to put it 6-8" above waterline AT ANY ANGLE OF HEEL, which on most sailboats puts it 2-3' above the bowl. See the attached photos. You'll also find a drawing illustrating this in the installation instructions for every sea water toilet.The discharge vented loop is only needed if the toilet flushes directly overboard, with or without a y-valve in the toilet discharge line.

intake and discharge vented loops.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2011
Hunter 41AC Bayfield WI, Lake Superior
Every body has their own system for sure but opening and closing the values is a good thing for sure so that they don't get to the point where they don't open and close easy is what happens if you don't use them.
I normally were leaving everything open most of the time and what happened was 2 values started to get very hard to open and close and got so bad I was afraid it would break so I stopped and at my haul out for bottom job I took them all apart and lubed and to be on the safe side replace 2 of them and so I now close them when away from the boat but open and close them all.
I also replaced all the backing plates.
Nick
I was window shopping at west marine the other day, and it looks like the next generation of ball valves has a zerk grease fitting on the side. Nice solution to sticky valves.