Which boson chair do you use?

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
I have one of these: Bosuns Chair – SWI-TEC AMERICA . It is comfortable to sit on for hours of work, strong fabric and excellent workmanship, 4 sewn-on bags for power tools, rigging tools, nuts and bolts, etc., sewn-in stainless steel shackle, fittings to hold a drill, compact storage bag included AND according to Swi-Tec is safe even if unconscious.

1624895553567.png

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I usually work alone. The ATN Mastclimber is my preferred choice. No need for a belay person, but it's nice to have someone on the deck if you forget something.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I made mine…2 layers of plywood, webbing secured around and through the plywood seat…maybe not as soft as a cloth seat, but I feel comfortable on it.

Greg

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
I have a Harken bosun’s chair and a Top Climber. That makes it easy to climb, but I still use a harness and someone belaying on a second halyard.
(Now that I am in my mid 70s with a few extra covid pounds, I am looking for trainable candidate, agile and interested to do the climbing)

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
I have one of these: Bosuns Chair – SWI-TEC AMERICA . It is comfortable to sit on for hours of work, strong fabric and excellent workmanship, 4 sewn-on bags for power tools, rigging tools, nuts and bolts, etc., sewn-in stainless steel shackle, fittings to hold a drill, compact storage bag included AND according to Swi-Tec is safe even if unconscious.

View attachment 195730
And the cooler is ... where?

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
I like the one attached to my riggers butt..
With age comes wisdom! (and a bit of caution)

However, there is great pleasure and excitement is seeing the top of your boat's mast and in seeing the marina from 50 feet above the water. Wakes and people stepping onto or off of the boat add to the excitement! +1 for the extra halyard, safety belt, and another person on deck.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
and a bit of caution
Truth.
I have the equipment on the boat to be used if needed. In my youth I enjoyed being hoisted on the mast. For reasons beyond my understanding when I was around the Special Services marina in Coronado, the new to the club Navy 44 Luders (2 from the Academy) always seemed to develop issues aloft. This required a volunteer. I was often volunteered.

When the time is right or needed, I suspect I will go aloft and view my boat from 40ft up. But it is not something I need to do.

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
Time to look for one
Suggestions?
My wife is terrified of heights, but for practical reasons she is the designated crewmember that will be hoisted to affect repairs up the mast. The bottom line was we needed a chair that would give her the confidence to be raised up the mast past heights (as in 10') that she would normally be comfortable with or her feet were not going to leave the deck. After much research, including information from a Practical Sailor test article, I knew the one that I would love to have but oh my it was pricey. Patience paid off and I lucked in and came across "The" chair in a new/used/consignment marine store in Poulsbo, WA. I emailed Brion Toss (RIP) to ensure that this very lightly used, but half the price of new was actually one of his. He confirmed that it was the Cruiser's model and invited us to stop into his shop on our return North. We did that and the first question he asked was who is going aloft? For more than an hour he trained my wife, not me but my wife, on the fitting and proper use of the chair. All questions that I had were directed back to my wife to ensure that she understood the answer. My wife came out of that session very happy and now regularly ascends the mast, even to the top of the 51' 11", with confidence and not fear.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
What a great story.
Shares the essence of the type of person Brian was. A sad loss to our community of sailors.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
The Harken chair is my choice. I have used others but the Harken is comfortable and feels safe with all of the straps and belts. Pricey, but my butt is worth it......

Now if I could just lose 20-30 pounds so my electric winch doesn't croak hauling me up.

• Ha
Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Climbing harness. Much easier to move in, particularly when ascending. Easier to brace with feet.

That said, I add extra padding width (5 inches) to the leg loops and waist belt, making it as comfortable as a bosun's chair.

I'm really not intersted in all the pockets. Just clutter IMO. I use a separate tool bag (electrician's bag) that I haul up with a line after I am secured. Crew on deck can easily pass tools and parts up that way.

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
i made my own bosn chair of solid 1" thick wood padded with 2" comfy closed cell foam, put a sunbrella bck on it and sides w deep pockets with lanyards and hooks for my tools. 2 locking carabiners to attach , 1 to main halyd, 1 to safty halyd. i could sit up there for hours without my legs falling asleep from those climbing harness seats. once the kids discovered it they used to swing off the ends of the boom.