Which are the best good old daysailers?

Mar 29, 2016
Cal 21 Sidney, ME
From my OP: Having invested in the Cat 25, he's looking for a budget daysailer.
I should have been specific. He paid $2400 for the Cat 25. So his budget daysailer will need to cost less than that. I have seen on Craig's List a number of boats that are free or under $1000. All the Flying Scots and Ensigns I found on Yacht World and Sailboat Listings are $3000 and up. Great boats but because of that they hold their value.
The responses I've gotten have pointed me to boats I didn't know about; that has been helpful. I'm putting a lot of emphasis on the PHRF rating, since he wants a boat that will perform in a livelier manner than his Cat 25.
Mention of self-bailing had been very helpful too. My Cal 21 is self-bailing and I overlooked that as a consideration. There's a Mariner 19 in my harbor. At first it had a cockpit tarp which kept out most of the rain. Then the owner added a bilge pump, car battery and little solar panel. A better solution, but I find the simplicity and reliability of self-bailing far preferable. I'm adding it to my criteria.
So far I've got:
  1. Cost (under $1000)
  2. PHRF rating
  3. Self-bailing
  4. Lovely lines (Who wants an ugly boat?)
We have until April 2024 to find this gem!

Mar 29, 2016
Cal 21 Sidney, ME
That definitely looks like fun! I'm adding her to my list. Once in a while I see a fixed keel boat for sale on a trailer, so that would work. PHRF 282. [200--240 would be nice.]

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Several close friends and I had to drink a lot of different wines over a few months to settle on which ones we wanted to have available at the dinner.....
How did that work out? Did you all just get purple faced?

pgandw

Oct 14, 2023
Stuart (ODay) Mariner 19 Yeopim Creek
From my OP: Having invested in the Cat 25, he's looking for a budget daysailer.
I should have been specific. He paid $2400 for the Cat 25. So his budget daysailer will need to cost less than that. I have seen on Craig's List a number of boats that are free or under $1000. All the Flying Scots and Ensigns I found on Yacht World and Sailboat Listings are $3000 and up. Great boats but because of that they hold their value.
The responses I've gotten have pointed me to boats I didn't know about; that has been helpful. I'm putting a lot of emphasis on the PHRF rating, since he wants a boat that will perform in a livelier manner than his Cat 25.
Mention of self-bailing had been very helpful too. My Cal 21 is self-bailing and I overlooked that as a consideration. There's a Mariner 19 in my harbor. At first it had a cockpit tarp which kept out most of the rain. Then the owner added a bilge pump, car battery and little solar panel. A better solution, but I find the simplicity and reliability of self-bailing far preferable. I'm adding it to my criteria.
So far I've got:
  1. Cost (under $1000)
  2. PHRF rating
  3. Self-bailing
  4. Lovely lines (Who wants an ugly boat?)
We have until April 2024 to find this gem!
The post 1967 Mariner is probably the best in terms of budget and performance. The early Mariners were not self bailing, but post 1967 are self-bailing cockpits. Very, very few sell for more than $3K, and there are some for less than $1K. Price is low because there were over 4,000 produced. Mariner parts are still available, (new boats and restored boats by Stuart), and are raced both class and PHRF (around 270?). Also easily trailered due to fully retracting centerboard.

I think $1K for ready-to-sail is unrealistic, given the current price of good sails.

But that's my opinion. You may find differently.

Fred W
Stuart Mariner #4133 Sweet P
Yeopim Creek, Albemarle Sound, NC

Mar 29, 2016
Cal 21 Sidney, ME
Thanks Fred. Couldn't agree more. I've sailed my friends' Mariner and like it a lot. I have a hard time passing them with my Cal 21.

higgs

Aug 24, 2005
Nassau 34 Olcott, NY
Some of the small trimarans have some type of cockpit - as opposed to sitting on a tramp. They are all about excitement.