Whew!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 3, 2006
Hunter 23 Philadelphia
After 27 hours of no sleep, hours of thick fog, having my outhaul blow out in a thunderstorm, chainging mainsails in said thunderstorm, hours and hours of painfully light winds, and more headsail changes and reef / shake outs than I care to remember, my father and I have returned from the Scotch Bonnet in my little Hunter 23. It is a 75 nm N-S race across lake ontario and back. We came in last by about 5 minutes, but having the worst handicap of the entire fleet by 20 points, we'll probably catch a lot moe boats! btw: The jib downhauls works WONDERFULLY. Thank you all who helped me convert from roller furling to hanks. More than one boat retired from the race early because of jammed roller furling when the 40 knot winds came up. In fact, 40% of the fleet didn't finish the race. Even of of 4 or 5 BIG multihulls that enetred, none finished. I'd call this a pretty resepectable showing for a 24 year old hunter with a leaky hull-deck joint and crazed gelcoat!

Dec 9, 2006
Oday 22 Hickory, NC
Good work Brian...

...and what a Fathers Day present for your dad! I envy you, maybe we will trailer out Oday 22 up there for it someday! Jack

jimq26

Jun 5, 2004
- - -
Atta boy Brian.

You must have been out in that horrendous storm on Friday night. It hit in our harbour around 21:30 hours. Man - the heavy rain was coming at you sideways. Crazy winds too. You did very well!! Glad we were able to help with the jib downhaul.

May 11, 2005
Seidelman S37 Slidell, La.
Congrats

To you and your dad. A good fathers day present for him, and a big well done for the both of you. Remember, it's not the size of the boat that counts, it's the size of the sailor on the boat.

Oct 3, 2006
Hunter 23 Philadelphia
!

Well, the results are in. That boat beat us by 4:19 started 5:00 mintue before us! 2nd place in my division and man, only half an hour better and I could have won the thing. and yes, the storm was ridiculous. Not quit as ridulous as the fact that me and my crew were in tshirts and polos through it too. I'm not sure how I let that happen - we KNEW it was coming, but hey, at least we looked good through it.

Status
Not open for further replies.