Wherer to mount radar?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 12, 2012
Lancer 36 Port Townsend
Anyone know if adding radar to the mast is problematic due to it being deck mounted? Fishing the cable down the mast, past the deck, then thru the compression post seems to be an interesting project. Any ideas?

Feb 1, 2007
-Lancer -28 The Sea Of Cortez
Professional installers have done it all a hundred times..The tricks of the trade...In a Lancer, I would forget the compression post and run the cable above the headliner and back to where you mount the screen..

leiby

Apr 14, 2009
Lancer 36 Eastern shore Maryland
I installed radar on my 1980 Lancer 36 last year at this time. If money is not an issue take the mast down and install it properly or put it on the stern. Money was an issue for me so this is what I did. Drilled 1 inch access hole at bottom of mast above the deck. Drilled 7/8" hole up through the compression plate inside the mast before the post. Drilled 7/8 hole at top front of compression post. Went up mast and drilled 7/8" hole where radar was to be installed. Dropped a weighted line down the mast. Through the access hole at bottom of mast my wife manipulated the weight through the hole in the compression plate inside the mast then went inside the boat and sent it into the hole of the post down to the bilge. Pulled the cable with this line down the mast with heavy wire ties every 6" for length of cable inside mast to reduce banging. Through access hole at bottom of mast used syringe to epoxy cable to eliminate leaks. installed cover over access hole. You can see about 3 " of the cable inside the boat at top of post.
My wife and I just completed a year long cruise that took us from MD to Canada to the west Indies and back to MD. (7750 KM) I never heard the cable bang inside the mast or had any leaks or problems. Mike

Jan 12, 2012
Lancer 36 Port Townsend
Thanks for the advice. Since I don't plan on replacing the standing rigging I think removing the mast and doing a proper mast installation is not going to happen. Looks like a stern post is the way to go.

Mar 26, 2012
Adventure Yachts Fantasia 35 Vancouver, BC
Mast mounted radar issues

I have a 28-T. The previous owner mounted the radar on the mast, cable down facing the bow on the outside of the mast , and then through the cabin roof using a watertight conmpression type fitting.

Seems fine, but if I lower the mast, (mine swings forward) I'll have to be carefull not to pinch the wire on the pulpit, when I go to rest it. I believe there are likely about 8 wires inside the cable, so easily broken.

Also the genoa sometimes catches when crossing the mast.

If I was doing it, I would go with one of the backstay mounts that will self-level when you are heeled, so that the horizon is not blocked while under sail. Better than a post.

See these guys for an idea:
http://www.waltzmfg.com/products.shtml

This would easier to bring down for servicing, and the mast would block less of the view, being further way.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.