where would you expect to find aftermarket voltage regulator

Dil

Jul 13, 2020
Hunter 30T Neptune
well still having issues with my charging system 30T 1991 Hunter yanmar 2gm shore power and charger working just fine took the alternator out had it tested it is good looks like someone upgraded it at some point to a 100amp unit. Not an internal regulated hitachi, now am hunting for the voltage regulator whey would it normally or usually be put?

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
now am hunting for the voltage regulator
Are you referring to an external alternator regulator when you say "voltage regulator" ?

If this is what you are searching for, just follow the small gauge wiring as it leaves the alternator and see where it takes you. The larger wires are the alternator output. You may find something like this external Balmar ARS-5:

DSC02620.JPG

What leads you to believe you have an external reg. on the 100A alternator. ?

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
It will be near the engine room. As @Ralph Johnstone said, follow the wires. The larger Red and Black wires are not the ones to follow, they supply power.

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
"they supply power" ... to the controller, electrical panel, appliances, etc.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Post a photo of the alt & model # etc.. It may have been upgraded but still could be internally regulated.

Dil

Jul 13, 2020
Hunter 30T Neptune
thanks all! I found it it was mounted to the wall of the back berth directly behind the motor compartment. it was a balmar 612. when I tested it I found that the ignition wire from the motor start button had broken loose there by not allowing the regulator to pass current back to the batteries. Was much relieved this was a cost less repair spliced the wire back together and that was that. I knew the alternator was an externally regulated model by looking up the model number of it on line. The product spec said it was unregulated. Also when I took the alternator in to be tested the guy at the alt. / starter rebuild shop told me to bring the regulator in he could most likely test that for me as well.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
I found that the ignition wire from the motor start button had broken loose
This has to be the simplest repair job in boating since Noah set sail. Did that thing have sails ? How did it get around ?

1602694786292.png