Where we play

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 46 Georgetown YB
Great Geology Lesson

Very informative. I have worked, lived and played in the 4 physiographic provinces of New Jersey since the early 1970's.

One of the things they forgot to mention in the list of man-made (anthropogenic) artifacts were the "beach whistles" common throughout the late 70's through the 80's. I worked with several of the ocean dumpers and assisted them in developing land based sludge management alternatives.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
Re: Great Geology Lesson

For the first 60 years of my life the only part of New Jersey i had seen was from the car windows as i drove along the Jersey turnpike. A few years ago I took the Tappen Zee bridge across the Hudson into New Jersey and found a completely different place called New Jersey. Taking the old US highways and the state roads must be done by everyone on at least part of very trip.

Feb 24, 2006
- - Toronto/Annapolis
Thanks for this. Very informative and interesting. I was once asked by my boss, if I knew anything about schist? Didn't then(1966) and appreciate the efforts of these "students".

Dec 30, 2009
jeanneau 38 gin fizz sloop Summer- Keyport Yacht Club, Raritan Bay, NJ, Winter Viking Marina Verplanck, NY
I have been sailing ot of keyport in raritan bay for 30 plus years, its a great area, open to the hudson east river to the sound jersey coast to south, its a great area only the season is too short. My sister is down by u ross she lives in perryville for 20 plus years now. what kind of places do u have down there for 38',draw 6'3". i stayed by her years ago in havre de grace, close to her was shallow?? Red

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
The channel out the river is twelve feet, the river above the flats is good and about 15 square miles. The flats are knee deep at low tide and about 35 square miles. Once out of the river the depth is generally better than ten feet until you can see the squirrels in the trees. Almost no rocks below the I95 bridge. Lots of tidal current.

Status
Not open for further replies.