Where to sail in San Diego

YVRguy

Jan 10, 2013
Hunter 34 Vancouver, BC
I am going to be visiting friends in San Diego next week. They enjoy sailing with me on my boat when they're in Vancouver so they suggested we do a bareboat charter while I'm visiting down there. They don't sail regularly themselves so they don't really know any good sailing destinations. Any suggestions from you So-Cal'ers? I'm thinking a day-sail or possibly an overnight.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Do a day sail. There really is NOWHERE to go overnight anyway. Blasting around in the bay and avoiding big gray boats just as fun anyway. Check out Seaforth boat rentals. I chartered a Colgate 26 for 1/2 a day (200 bucks?) and had a blast. Only downside? No spinnaker!

http://www.seaforthboatrental.com/

Last edited:

YVRguy

Jan 10, 2013
Hunter 34 Vancouver, BC
I am going to be visiting friends in San Diego next week. They enjoy sailing with me on my boat when they're in Vancouver so they suggested we do a bareboat charter while I'm visiting down there. They don't sail regularly themselves so they don't really know any good sailing destinations. Any suggestions from you So-Cal'ers? I'm thinking a day-sail or possibly an overnight.
Thanks I'll check it out.
Do a day sail. There really NOWHERE to go overnight anyway. Blasting around in the bay and avoiding big gray boats just as fun anyway. Check out Seaforth boat rentals. I chartered a Colgate 26 for 1/2 a day (200 bucks?) and had a blast. Only downside? No spinnaker!

http://www.seaforthboatrental.com/
Thanks, I'll check it out.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Actually, there are a couple of popular overnight anchorages in San Diego area. First is Glorietta Bay in Coronado Island. The second would be Mariner's Cove in Mission Bay... and the other is La Playa near the Southwestern Yacht Club on Shelter Island in San Diego Bay...(weekends only).
Now.... the big challenge is to find a charter company that will allow you to keep the boat out overnight... I don't think Seaforth is set up that way..not sure, but I would be pleasantly surprised if they were. There's a Seaforth facility near me in Mission Bay. All types of rentals, sport fishing, restaurant.. etc. Easy enough to google them and check out what they have.

One trip suggestion..... Sailing from Mission Bay all the way down to Chula Vista, renting a slip overnight in their excellent marina, partying at the local restaurant, then trekking back the next day to MB is one option that I have experienced.... ocean and bay sailing plus some motoring... about 25-30 miles travel... each way.

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
1976 formosa 41 yankee clipper santa barbara. ca.(not there)
if you are going to use san diegos anchorages, you best obtain permit from harbor police at the muni dock so you do not receive a very very pricey ticket for illegal anchoring.

YVRguy

Jan 10, 2013
Hunter 34 Vancouver, BC
Actually, there are a couple of popular overnight anchorages in San Diego area. First is Glorietta Bay in Coronado Island. The second would be Mariner's Cove in Mission Bay... and the other is La Playa near the Southwestern Yacht Club on Shelter Island in San Diego Bay...(weekends only).
Now.... the big challenge is to find a charter company that will allow you to keep the boat out overnight... I don't think Seaforth is set up that way..not sure, but I would be pleasantly surprised if they were. There's a Seaforth facility near me in Mission Bay. All types of rentals, sport fishing, restaurant.. etc. Easy enough to google them and check out what they have.

One trip suggestion..... Sailing from Mission Bay all the way down to Chula Vista, renting a slip overnight in their excellent marina, partying at the local restaurant, then trekking back the next day to MB is one option that I have experienced.... ocean and bay sailing plus some motoring... about 25-30 miles travel... each way.
Terrific! I'll look these up. I was looking at a website for Harbor Sailboats and they list boats available from a Capri 22 all the way up to a 42ft Beneteau. I haven't called yet but I assume nobody is renting one of those for a day sail.

YVRguy

Jan 10, 2013
Hunter 34 Vancouver, BC
if you are going to use san diegos anchorages, you best obtain permit from harbor police at the muni dock so you do not receive a very very pricey ticket for illegal anchoring.
Thanks. I will more than likely find a marina to stay the night but good heads up anyway.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Last edited:

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
Try the Harbor Island West Marina for a guest slip. Dinner at Tom Ham's Lighthouse for up scale dinner; the marina-local restaurant, Boathouse, for a more casual one.

http://www.harborislandwest.com/slip-rates/guest-slips.html
http://www.tomhamslighthouse.com/
http://www.boathouserestaurant.com/
there is a restaurant that occupies the building where a nice upscale restaurant is in glorietta bay(one name was a coach house)-- name of the year restaurant, next to cyc and glorietta marina.....there is anthony's at the malecon, next to star of india--i believe they may still have a dock, but , after the storm the other week,. that may have gone... there was still the hawaiian restaurant at end of si drive, on the water in commercial basin....has a dock, if needed...
red sails, in commercial basin/ shelter island...fiddlers green on si drive, si..... and many other excellent restaurants in san diego.
the only constant is change

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2009
Pearson P-31 Quantico
Long ago, in San Diego, any where near the Pussy Cat Theater, women would sail themselves to the swabbies and jar-heads on liberty.

Oh . . . . sorry for this.

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
mybrother used to love the XXX theatres on the other side of bay from his base on coronado.....

but that was 1968-9.
wont find em now.......

Last edited: