Where to run the solar panel cables on a Hunter 38 ?

Aug 28, 2023
Hunter 38 0 Pin Rolland, Var, France
I am going to install a rigid solar panel on a stainless steel gantry at the rear of the cockpit.
I am looking for the best solution to pass the cables to the charge regulator.
If you have already done this, where did you run the cables?

Apr 2, 2021
Hunter 38 On the move
I made a frame of 1" tubes that I mounted to the arch and to my davits. It covers the rear of my bimini from just behind my boom end to roughly above the end of the vessel.

It holds 3 210W panels mounted lengthwise. I can't figure out how to add any more.

I have run 6AWG solar panel cables (2ea) from the panels, along the port side of my bimini, underneath the bimini and above the tray that holds the cockpit speakers and overhead light.

They run through the same hole in the arch tubing that speaker cables run through, down that starboard leg, and into the overhead above the aft bunch roughly where the shore power connectors are.

From thence the cables run aft, over the bulkhead, across between the two lockers in a piece of conduit already installed, then down and under the rear bunk into the space underneath the port aft hanging locker. Some water and the overboard for the shower sump are in this area.

I then carefully threaded them underneath the shower pan and into the space under the nav station where my controller is mounted.

Aug 28, 2023
Hunter 38 0 Pin Rolland, Var, France
Thank you for the clarification.
Where did you connect the controller cables? directly on the service batteries or somewhere else?

Oct 28, 2019
Hunter 38 North Shore of Boston
I put flexible panels on top of my dodger. I ran the cables down the frame for the dodger and through a cable gland I installed next to the grab rail at the base of my dodger frame. I then pulled the headliner and ran the wiring across the bottom of the deck and into the first compartment of the settee in front of the nav station, where I installed a Victron controller for each panel. The controllers have a bus between them, which then connects to the bus bars under the nav station seat. I have a Balmar sg200 battery monitor so it was very important to make sure everything was connected on the correct side of the shunt.

Apr 2, 2021
Hunter 38 On the move
Thank you for the clarification.
Where did you connect the controller cables? directly on the service batteries or somewhere else?
ground bus is right there under the Nav station. Positive lead goes to an 80A breaker on the panel under the Nav station and thence to the COMM stud on the battery switch

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
The cables from the panel to the controller should be as short as possible, so keep this in mind when you are planning a path for the cables.

Apr 2, 2021
Hunter 38 On the move
The cables from the panel to the controller should be as short as possible, so keep this in mind when you are planning a path for the cables.
correct. In my installation they are around 24". also, I went up a gauge.

AndyL

Jun 23, 2020
Hunter 36 Rock Hall
In my installation they are around 24".
If I read your earlier post correctly the cable run from the solar panels to the controller sound much longer than 24" as they run through the boat to the nav station area. Did I miss something?

Apr 2, 2021
Hunter 38 On the move
If I read your earlier post correctly the cable run from the solar panels to the controller sound much longer than 24" as they run through the boat to the nav station area. Did I miss something?
I missed something lol. The approx 24” cables are from controller to ground buss and batt switch. Panels to controller much longer

KelToy

Jul 28, 2023
Hunter Hunter 38 Keyport NJ
I made a frame of 1" tubes that I mounted to the arch and to my davits. It covers the rear of my bimini from just behind my boom end to roughly above the end of the vessel.

It holds 3 210W panels mounted lengthwise. I can't figure out how to add any more.

I have run 6AWG solar panel cables (2ea) from the panels, along the port side of my bimini, underneath the bimini and above the tray that holds the cockpit speakers and overhead light.

They run through the same hole in the arch tubing that speaker cables run through, down that starboard leg, and into the overhead above the aft bunch roughly where the shore power connectors are.

From thence the cables run aft, over the bulkhead, across between the two lockers in a piece of conduit already installed, then down and under the rear bunk into the space underneath the port aft hanging locker. Some water and the overboard for the shower sump are in this area.

I then carefully threaded them underneath the shower pan and into the space under the nav station where my controller is mounted.
Thanks so much for this info! Do you have any photos and details of this install down the arch? tks!