Where to purchase Garmin GPS

Oct 4, 2010
76 Catalina 22 Three Mile Harbor, East Hampton, NY
In my research for a GPS I came across a website, factory outlet store . Com. Two of the 4 models I looked at were almost half the price as compared to Garmine website. The other two were the same price or more. Has anyone had experience withe this website? Any thoughts?
GPSMAP 547XS $789 vs $394.
GPSMAP 547 $379 vs $749.
echoMAP Chirp 54CV price is same $449
echoMAP Chirp 74VS 100 more at $849

All models are without transducer. Since I don't fish I don't think I need it??

http://g.factoryoutletstore.com/

Thanks as always Richie

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
Richie,
That is always a difficult decision. Do you go for the cheap no service/inconvenient returns of an online purchase and hope there are no issues or pay the extra bucks for say West Marine where you can ask questions, get some guidance and have a no hassle return. I tend to lean toward the latter, in part because I love the folks at my local West Marine and I have found them to be very knowledgeable and very helpful. I try to time my larger purchases to triple points promotions because I get more gift certificates, you can also try to time it with manufacturer rebates. A sort of middle ground is buying from Defender, very reliable and good prices. I bought from them recently because the Benjamin difference between Defender and WM was just too big.

Another option is to navigate using an iPad and an app like iSail. There are a ton of different ways to mount your iPad.

BTW I don't fish on my sailboat either but I love having the transducer to tell me depth. I have the Garmin 541s and I love it, I think it is discontinued but you can still find some new ones out there.

Good luck!

Mike

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
All models are without transducer. Since I don't fish I don't think I need it??
It depends on the depth(s) you will be sailing in. Transducers do more than find fish, they also give you depth readings. Where we sail, it would be unthinkable not to have one.

Personally, if I didn't need a transducer, I'd save all that cash and just use my phone/tablet/whatever, and a Navionics app. I'd never pay money like that and not be getting accurate depth readings along with the deal.

Either way, watch for upcoming Christmas sales. There are often some pretty killer deals to be had this time of year.

EDIT: Oh, and just ignore the prices on Garmin's site. They're only there for marketing purposes. You're not necessarily getting a "deal" by finding the item for less ... that's just what Garmin wants you to think. ;)

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2010
76 Catalina 22 Three Mile Harbor, East Hampton, NY
Just came back from West Marine. Very helpful and hands on demonstration to answer my questions. I agree with the points you both made. lt looks like it will be garmin echoMAP 74dv with the coastal maps and a transducer for 682 total.

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
Just came back from West Marine. Very helpful and hands on demonstration to answer my questions. I agree with the points you both made. lt looks like it will be garmin echoMAP 74dv with the coastal maps and a transducer for 682 total.
Richie, For what it's worth, I would make sure whatever you buy is NMEA 2000 compatible. When I put in my Garmin 5 years ago I thought that was all I would need. I am now the owner of a seven instrument NMEA 2000 network. (Three are for the autopilot) The NMEA 2000 compatability allows all the differing instruments to talk and hear from each other. It is essentially plug and play.