Where to mount stereo and speakers on H23

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
I got a good deal on a Polyplanar unit that has a base and separate control panel/pad. I also bought a pair of round 3-way speakers and have built wood boxes for them, each about 5.5 in square and about 2 inches deep.

I am thinking of mounting the speakers/boxes on the wood bulkheads on either side of the cabin, the ones that form the v-berth area. The port side wall is small, but I think I can fit it with the side up against the hull. I assume I will hang the stereo base unit under one of the side shelves in the starboard quarter berth area and the control pad sort of near the fuse panel.

What have others done on a 23? Also, is standard speaker wire OK for the audio, or would I need some marine grade wire (I am only on fresh water)?

Thanks, Peter

Dec 1, 2007
-Hunter -23 Kenora, Ontario, Canada
Hi Peter,
I mounted my speakers where you mentioned, I think. They sound quite good out in the cockpit while sailing.

I mounted the stereo under the sink unit, it can get splashed by rain a bit , depending on the wind. I've had no trouble so far, though.

I used regular speaker wire.
-Chris

Attachments

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 23 Tampa Bay
I mounted the stereo on the port face bort of the sink. The board that hits you but if you stand in front of the sink as your using the sink.

Speakers were mounted midway up on the bench seat supports below between where the floor boards slide I to the tracks to make the main cabin the second bed

Aug 5, 2009
Hunter h23 Dallas Tx.
Peter, I mounted mine on the starboard ceiling just inside the cabin, front speakers are mounted inside like yours and aft speakers are mounted below my tiller inside the cockpit. Pics of my radio mount in my profile.

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
Thanks for the advice. My stereo unit is a 2-piece (control head separate from amp/cd drive), and the amp has to be mounted into a panel. I ended up fabbing a sort of wood box or shelf with a thin plywood face into which the amp mounts. I more or less have to mount that hanging under the sink unit, right under the stove (like Chris's solution). The round speakers mount in wood boxes I made and will hang on the bulkheads. Will try to get photos once I put it all in the boat.

The control head is waterproof and can be mounted in a panel, such as in the fiberglass on either side of the companionway entrance (like an instrument would mount). It also has a U bracket so you can mount it into a surface without cutting a round hole. I don't want to cut through the 'glass and create one more source of possible leaks, so I will surface mount it near the amp unit.

Chris, where did you run the speaker wires? Looks like either under or above the side shelves. I am thinking the port side through the shelf and then along its underside to the sink area, and the stbd side along the hull/bulkhead join then into the storage locker and along the string of lockers, on the inside, to near the electrical panel and out through a hole right up against the rear bulkhead.

Dec 1, 2007
-Hunter -23 Kenora, Ontario, Canada
(snip)

Chris, where did you run the speaker wires? Looks like either under or above the side shelves. I am thinking the port side through the shelf and then along its underside to the sink area, and the stbd side along the hull/bulkhead join then into the storage locker and along the string of lockers, on the inside, to near the electrical panel and out through a hole right up against the rear bulkhead.
Sorry for the delay, I went down to the boat yesterday and had a look (it's been a while). Yes, that's exactly what I did. Port side speaker wire goes under the shelf to the rear bulkhead behind the stove, then under the stove/sink and then tied to the flexible sink drain hose to get back under the area. Starboard speaker wire goes straight down behind the carpet in the corner between the bulkhead and side wall, then aft through the lower storage area then aft until it gets under the sink/stove area somehow.

Hi Pepto! Long time no see. Your link came up as a blank white box for me using firefox...
-Chris