Where to mount in-hull puck and chartreader

May 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Lake Lanier
I bought a SIMRAD NSS EVO2 7 and P79 in-hull puck for my 1985 Catalina 30.

Where would the best place be for the puck? I'm thinking of behind the existing thru-hulls (for the original Std Hrzn Speed & Depth). Is there a better location?

Where do most people put the chart reader, and how do they mount it? (I'm going to use the bracket mount.)

Nov 7, 2012
1978 Catalina 30 Wilbur-by-the-Sea
I put my transducer in a pile of wax under the Vberth just aft of our forward water tank. Have if forward of the keel because it is nice to know the depth is going shallow before you hit hard if creeping thru shoals.

Mar 10, 2015
Catalina 30 Moss Landing, CA
I bought a SIMRAD NSS EVO2 7 and P79 in-hull puck for my 1985 Catalina 30.

Where would the best place be for the puck? I'm thinking of behind the existing thru-hulls (for the original Std Hrzn Speed & Depth). Is there a better location?

Where do most people put the chart reader, and how do they mount it? (I'm going to use the bracket mount.)
I just installed an in-hull transducer for my Garmin GPS-Map 441s mounted on the binnicle of my '82 C-30. Since ther was already an old thru-hull trans. just aft of the V-berth tank, I located it amidst the old Standard speed and depth units under the aft dinette seat.

It worked great yesterday bashing out of Moss Lndg. over the Monterey Bay Trench - - sounding out a little over 450', amidst a pod of feeding humpback whales!

I do miss Lake Lanier, where I had three boats in the 70's, but even more St. Andrew Bay, FL where we landed after six years cruising, and the great warm water cruising grounds E & W of there. The Pacific here is about as cold and unfriendly as it gets in the summer...

Pete

May 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Lake Lanier
Where/How did you mount your display on the binnacle? I have two pods on mine that I want to put GMI-20 displays into, and a Simrad EVO2 7" chart-reader. I can't figure out how to install that. The metal loop behind the pinnacle is not really tall enough if I keep my Gemini Pinnacle compass. Even the compass seems to be made to observe while sitting, but I can't see over the cabin well enough to stay seated very long.

How did you run the cables? My Edson does not seem to have anything to keep such cables from interacting with the chains from the wheel.

Thanks

My old thru-hull sensors are just under the rear edge of the v-berth water tank. I'm thinking of putting the puck just aft and port of the speed log on the port side. (Near the old maserator output ) The puck is adjustable up to 22 degrees, and I think it will work there. (Have not tested it there yet) I'm thinking of glassing over the old senor thru-hulls when we get the bottom done mid-summer. Any thoughts on that?

Mar 10, 2015
Catalina 30 Moss Landing, CA
Where/How did you mount your display on the binnacle? I have two pods on mine that I want to put GMI-20 displays into, and a Simrad EVO2 7" chart-reader. I can't figure out how to install that. The metal loop behind the pinnacle is not really tall enough if I keep my Gemini Pinnacle compass. Even the compass seems to be made to observe while sitting, but I can't see over the cabin well enough to stay seated very long.

How did you run the cables? My Edson does not seem to have anything to keep such cables from interacting with the chains from the wheel.

Thanks

My old thru-hull sensors are just under the rear edge of the v-berth water tank. I'm thinking of putting the puck just aft and port of the speed log on the port side. (Near the old maserator output ) The puck is adjustable up to 22 degrees, and I think it will work there. (Have not tested it there yet) I'm thinking of glassing over the old senor thru-hulls when we get the bottom done mid-summer. Any thoughts on that?
I had two pods with the pyramidal instrument mounts, the stbd one with the AP head, and the other, which I removed, for the old defunct GPS plotter. Since my wife and I stand most of the time at the helm, I mounted the Garmin in it's tilt/swivel mount for instrument visibility whether sitting or standing.

Sounds like your location FWD should work, and I agree with removing the old sensor. Be sure to grind a wide bevel around the outside of the hole, and I would use epoxy with some micro-fiber thickening as glass bonding agent.

Running the cables through the Edson push-push radial system pedestal was a bit tricky, using a stiff fish wire taped to the 5/8" 6-pronged connector on the transducer cable. I went as far aft as I could, and secured in with cable ties the best I could top and bottom. I cut an inverted U-shaped 1/4" hole/slot through the base of the plastic compass support for cable exit leading SE aft. Doing it again, I'djust drill a 5/8" near the bottom of it and get a split rubber grommet to fit.

The photo is from the day we bought her in Feb.

Pete

Attachments

Dec 30, 2014
Catalina 30 Middle Bass Island, Oh.
Hey Chris, did you get your P79 installed? Where did you put it? How does it work?
Thanks

May 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Lake Lanier
How I Did It

I finally got the instruments installed. I put the P-79 in-hull puck a little aft and port of the existing knot-meter thru-hull. (It's near the head seacock) It can be adjusted up to an angle of 22 degrees, which it took every bit of to get it level. The newer transducers are bigger otherwise I would have used a thru-hull where the knot-meter is now. The old thru hulls will remain until the next time the boat is hauled.

I pulled the original instruments and their wires from the pods on the pedestal. It was tricky, but I managed to get all the new cables up the pedestal. Some judicious cable ties under the base and at the top of the pedestal keep the cables out of the way of the steering and engine control cables. There are 3 NMEA 2K drop cables, the Transducer Cable, the Power Cable for the SIMRAD display and a combo NMEA0183/video cable (for DSC info to the VHF). It was tight and took another person to get in, but it is there. The cable heads are large, but most of the cables themselves are fairly small. One NMEA drop cable goes to each of the pods and one to the new SIMRAD display. I had an older GARMIN GMI-10 that is in one of the pods, currently the other is blank.

I also put in a GARMIN wireless gWind unit at the mast head that is a part of the NMEA 2K network. Everything works great.