Where to Mount Cockpit Speakers

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rick Ward

I want to add cockpit speakers to my Legend 37 but can't for the life of me figure out where. Any ideas? Rick "Eagle II"

J

Jay Hill

I think it's the same cockpit...

...or at least similar to the H31. I mounted mine underneath the center helm seat in the stern locker. The speakers have a box on the back side to prevent damage from my careless tossing of lines or equipment into the locker. Almost impossible to kick, step on, or otherwise destroy them. I also recommend getting speakers with VERY strong outer covers with ribs instead of a cover with lots of little holes. The ones with holes are more susceptable to damage. You can see a picture in Photo Forum: Last picture in series: Singlehanding an H31, The Gear, Routes, Etc.

B

Bob Blackmann

Speakers

Rick, I mounted waterproof box speakers at the corners of the cowling on both sides of the companionway. Wires can be run into the cowling with your instrument cable conduit. Works well on my 37. Bob

D

Don Alexander

Compass Safe Distance

My 376 came with its speakers in the console. They cause at lease 20 degrees of compass error. Speaker manufacturers do not understand about Compass Safe Distance. I recommend that, whatever you do, you hold them in place first and watch the binnacle. I would expect you will need at least 1 metre between speakers and compass. Hope it suits the stereo separation you are looking for. Regards, Don

D

Don Alexander

Compass Safe Distance

My 376 came with its speakers in the console. They cause at least 20 degrees of compass error. Speaker manufacturers do not understand about Compass Safe Distance. I recommend that, whatever you do, you hold them in place first and watch the binnacle. I would expect you will need at least 1 metre between speakers and compass. Hope it suits the stereo separation you are looking for. Regards, Don

B

Bob Miller

Compass Errors

Don is right about speakers affecting the compass. And most literature will advise to maintain 3 ft. (or a meter) distance between your speakers and the compass. I met those guidelines when I installed my cockpit speakers in my 37C; but, still have up to 20 degrees error. No problem, though! I didn't bother trying to re-calibrating the compass. I doubt if the calibration magnets would correct for a 20 degree error, anyway. I just did a compass swing and made a laminated correction card. whenever I set a course, I just set course per the correction on my correction card. I think thats called a deviation card, but I don't remember the difference, right now, between variance and deviation.

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
Speakers are Murder on the Compass

On our H-35 we installed a Standard LH-5 hailer for travel through fog. The hailer will send out the required signal in order to comply with the regulations for traveling through fog under power, sail, or at anchor or aground. To complement the hailer we bought a remote listen/back speaker which acts like a speaker and a microphone and is very compact (say, 2 x 3 inches). Intent was to install it near the helm so I could steer the boat and operate the hailer remotely (or use the intercom so the helmsperson could talk to the navigator). Couldn't believe the huge deflection it caused on the compass!!! Also, our OEM Ritche was replaced with a W&P Venus. In order to minimize the deflection of this small listen/back speaker, much smaller magnet than your speakers, I'm sure, it had to be placed clear up near the forward part of the cockpit. Another consideration is to keep any speakers far away from your autohelm compass as it will have the same problem. Even a non-magnet item such as a steel fuel tank, such as for the outboard, will affect the autohelm.

S

SteveC

I mounted speakers on...

the middle stern rail on either side of the helmsperson seat... I have a 87 Legend 37 and did not want to cut into any of the coamings, etc. and wanted to have them as far from the compass as reasonably possible. Used the Jensen 'box' speakers and the largest leftover wheel clamps from a ST4000 autopilot to clamp arount the stern rail. Looks ok, is 'permanent', and I can easily get to if necessary, is away from the compass, and won't get kicked, banged, etc..

Status
Not open for further replies.