Where to keep the anchor

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bob Griffin

We are lake sailors and enjoy anchoring from time to time to watch other boats and enjoy lunch or fishing. My problem is the 26 d doesn't have a locker to store it in the bow. I hate having to keep it in the stern locker and carring each time I want to stop awhile. I've bought a pulpit bracket for my danforth, but it looks a little strange; sense I have to mount it out so as not to interfear with my jib.

L

Les Blackwell

Hey, the stern is great!

My Ranger 32 was built in such a way that you could not put anything on the bow. It was a racing boat pure and simple. And it taught me something important. My wife and I started anchoring from the stern. When we found a spot we wanted to anchor in, we'd head down wind and slip the Danforth over the side. You have to be careful of 10 feet of chain but once I felt it hit bottom, then laid out some more line and cleated it on a stern cleat . Once the anchor dug in, I'd then would move the rode to the bow as the boat slowly turned into the wind. No need to back down, either. A real benefit was that my wife and I could talk to each other without letting the entire boat population at that anchorage hear what we were saying like, "honey, do you like this spot?," " Honey, Do You Like This Spot?" HONEY, DOYOULIKETHISDAMNSPOT?" This is the conversation from the bow from a frustrated skipper.. So my advice is to not overlook stern anchoring. By the way for those of you who are reading this and have a sugar scoop stern, we also back down on mooring buoys, put the line through and then walk the mooring line to the bow. Far easier than lying on one's stomach and trying to catch the ring from the bow.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Anchor bag.

Bob: The mount on the bow pulpit is still good. They make a bag for storing the anchor and rode. This makes taking it forward much easier. When you are getting ready to drop the hook, you can take the anchor bag forward. Then first thing to do is to attach the bitter end to the cleat. Once you do this, you can hook your anchor on it's mount. Then you are ready to "drop" anchor when it is time. The anchor lockers always seem to be full of bugs and leaves, so not having one is somewhat of a blessing. It also adds a lot of weight up forward too (depending on the amount of chain that you're carring).

R

Ray Bowles

Well Bob....Can you hang the Danforth on the side

rails of the bow pulpit? It does not really need to be out in front. I mounted my second anchor on my H26 this way and then used a modified utility closet broom/mop hanger bracket to hold the shank securly to the rub rail so it wouldn't move either. It was one of those "push the mop handle into the clip" and she stays there. A 5 gallon pail 2/3ds full holds my main anchor chain and rode through the winter. After I dry it out I store it this way so the moisture is not in the locker all winter. That rode has 32 feet of 5/16" chain and 118 feet of 5/8' line for a total of 150 feet. As you can see all the line you need for a lunch hook requires very little room. Ray S/V Speedy

T

Tom

Store anchor and rode in lazarette in Bag

Hi, When I had a Mac 26s, I used a canvase tote bag to carry the anchor and rode. Actually had 2, a primary and secondary. These were stored in the lazarette in a 10 gallon bin to help keep them together and on top of the pile of stuff that tends to collect in there. Sometimes you need to deploy the anchor fast and you don't want to have to unload the MACs huges lazarette to get to it at the bottom! I kept the bitter end looped around the bag handle to find it easily so it could be tied off to a cleat. A small line tied to one of the handles can be used to tie off the bag to a cleat, life line, mast base, etc. to prevent you from loosing the bag overboard, too. I usually deployed from the bow, but, on occasion deployed from the stern as indicated in a previous post. It really does simplify things, esp. single handed. One trick I learned is to NOT coil the rode, but to make figure eight loops (I can't remember the term for this) so that the rode comes out of the bag without tangling. The chain and anchor go in the bag last. When retrieving signle handed, don't try to load the bag right away. Make figure 8 loops on deck, get the anchor and chain aboard, secure it on the bow, if necessary. Then get back to the helm to get the boat away from shore and other collision hazards. Once you have more room to manuvuer, Go forward and finish loading the bag properly and bring it back to stow. The day you stuff it all in the bag carelessly is the day it is going to tangle when you need it most! Fair winds, Tom

R

Ray Bowles

Les, I like your idea. There have been many

places on our river that that would have been the prefered idea. I'll give it a try this summer. Ray S/V Speedy

J

John Visser

Be careful of compass

Make sure all of that iron near the steering compass doesn't change your deviation much - or swing and correct again (from personal experience). jv

Status
Not open for further replies.