Where to get an overhaul in Kelowna/Vancouver

Oct 18, 2013
Catalina 27 Vernon, BC (Okanagan Lake)
I have decided life is too short for me to continue spending most of my time working on my 1988 Catalina 27 rather than actually sailing it. I am looking for somewhere near me to take it for a complete overhaul inside and out, but I haven't been able to find anywhere searching the internet. Is there anyone on the forum living near Kelowna or Vancouver who knows of a boat yard that might take this job on? I live in Sorrento BC (Canada) and would welcome any recommendations.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Boatyards are pretty busy and expensive. Have you considered looking for boat contractors on Craigslist and referrals from your marina neighbors. Except for bottom paint and thru-hull replacement, which I have done at a boatyard, everything else is done by mobile engine, mechanical, electrical, gelcoat/teakwork contractors.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
I have decided life is too short for me to continue spending most of my time working on my 1988 Catalina 27 rather than actually sailing it. I am looking for somewhere near me to take it for a complete overhaul inside and out, but I haven't been able to find anywhere searching the internet. Is there anyone on the forum living near Kelowna or Vancouver who knows of a boat yard that might take this job on? I live in Sorrento BC (Canada) and would welcome any recommendations.
I imagine you have already thought about this but have you considered looking for a boat that has already been "overhauled" to the extent you want? Might be easier. and possibly cheaper, than having yours overhauled by a third party.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
a complete overhaul inside and out
It may be more helpful to list at least some of the things you think mean a "complete overhaul." This may mean differrent things to different folks. Why? 'Cuz what to me may mean just (re)connecting a few wires and rerouting my alternator output to the house bank instead of the switch might well mean a complete electrical overhaul to you. Could you give us a gist of what you have in mind? We may know some people...
everything else is done by mobile engine, mechanical, electrical, gelcoat/teakwork contractors.
Since I moved here five years ago, that's been my experience. Where I used to live in San Francisco almost everything was done at and by boatyards. Here's it's piece-work.

And, finally, Kelowna Vancouver is a HUGE distance. Is your boat in the water? If not, where is it?

We're all hoping to help, so see if you can make it easier for us.