Where to fly burgee

Tyemac

Jul 2, 2016
Hunter Vision32 2 Barrochois
With a free standing mast, where can I fly a burgee or any other small flags?

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Why is "free standing" a qualifier? Don't free standing masts have halyards?

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Fly it wherever you want to- it's all a matter of personal opinion anyway.
Not hardly. There is a very distinct set of rules for flying flags and pennants aboard a yacht. To do other than that invites others to think you quite ignorant of yachting etiquette. Failure to fly a courtesy flag from the right place can lead to bothersome consequences should some official take offense.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Not hardly. There is a very distinct set of rules for flying flags and pennants aboard a yacht. To do other than that invites others to think you quite ignorant of yachting etiquette. Failure to fly a courtesy flag from the right place can lead to bothersome consequences should some official take offense.
IIRC, the last thread on this subject ended up where my post #4 says. Not all boats have the same facilities for the "proper" place to fly falgs. So, it is whatever works for the skipper&boat. I have about 23 flags I fly all at once, and probably NONE of them are where they "should" be. Besides, they're not "rules", just more like guidelines

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
The Hunter Vision does not have spreaders or halyards as shown in the attached photo.
Suggest attaching a burgee and other small flags to the lifelines. That is what we do on yacht club cruise outs when we do not want to raise it on a line that is attached to the lower spreader. I suppose you could run a line from the top of the mast to the stern rail to attach burgee and other small flags.

Attachments

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Flying your colors is a time honored tradition among sailors. Power boats do not have masts for sails, but they raise their flags.

Flying a flag while coming into a foreign port, it is a courtesy to raise the country’s flag, as well as the Q flag, a requirement to identify the boat as not yet inspected. Further it is expected you will fly the flag of the country of documentation. The Customs folk expect such courtesy.

Visiting a foreign yacht club flying your burgee is just a yachtee thing that is done, a courtesy. And who knows may get you an offer to have a drink. I sense it is better to have it somewhere, even on a makeshift flag pole then to ignore it.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
The Hunter Vision does not have spreaders or halyards as shown in the attached photo.
Suggest attaching a burgee and other small flags to the lifelines. That is what we do on yacht club cruise outs when we do not want to raise it on a line that is attached to the lower spreader. I suppose you could run a line from the top of the mast to the stern rail to attach burgee and other small flags.
A yacht club burgee is usually flown at the peak on a pig-stick.

The Hunter Vision certainly does have at least two halyards, or you wouldn't be able to raise your sails! I was suggesting a flag halyard (or two) to the top.

A friend of mine had a Nonsuch with a similarly un-stayed, i.e., cantilevered mast, and he had a couple of flag halyards in addition to the main halyard.

Same issue with Freedom yachts.

Then there's this:
https://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/2nd-main-halyard-on-a-hunter-vision-mast.41926/

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
IIRC, the last thread on this subject ended up where my post #4 says. Not all boats have the same facilities for the "proper" place to fly falgs. So, it is whatever works for the skipper&boat. I have about 23 flags I fly all at once, and probably NONE of them are where they "should" be. Besides, they're not "rules", just more like guidelines
Would you want to tell Emily Post that the "rules" of etiquette are just suggestions? I wouldn't!

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I just love these threads. Everyone is right. All others are wrong.

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
It has no stays or shrouds. I do not see why you could not attach an eye to the mast and attach a small block with a halyard to the deck. Just seems it would ruin the aesthetics of a free-standing mast. Maybe fly it off the masthead? Or off a staff attached to the stern pulpit?

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Last edited:
Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
A yacht club burgee is usually flown at the peak on a pig-stick.

The Hunter Vision certainly does have at least two halyards, or you wouldn't be able to raise your sails! I was suggesting a flag halyard (or two) to the top.

A friend of mine had a Nonsuch with a similarly un-stayed, i.e., cantilevered mast, and he had a couple of flag halyards in addition to the main halyard.

Same issue with Freedom yachts.

Then there's this:
https://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/2nd-main-halyard-on-a-hunter-vision-mast.41926/
:plus::plus: = 3

(that is some Chicago-style voting)