Where to find hard to find fasteners?

Nov 21, 2007
Beneteau Oceanis 34 Kingston, WA
Does anyone have a reliable and reasonably priced source for hard to find screws, bolts, etc.? In less than full box quantity?

I am having a hard time finding longer screws for a couple of upgrades to my running rigging. I'm adding a second, stacked, deck organizer and double stacking a couple of footblocks to help with my lines. I need some longer fasteners to mount the hardware with. I need metric flat head socket screws. The double-stacked footblocks are the most difficult to find, at 90 mm. The only place that I've seen them is Grainger; where I don't have an account, and I don't need 25 of them.

I need M8's, four each, in 90mm and 80mm, flat head socket screws. The 80mm has to be metric, the threads are embedded in the deck.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Did you try Tacoma Screw? I've not been inside and they might not even be open right now, but I think they sell in small quantities.

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
I buy lots of small quantities of bolts, nuts, and washers @ Tacoma Screw (Portland location on NE Columbia Bv). Have you checked on them in your area?
Very helpful guys at the counter, I should add.
McMaster Carr, via the 'net, is great, too.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Finally, after all the leading suppliers, McMaster and Carr had the 10x32, flathead, left hand thread steel screw that I needed. Nada Tacoma Screw, Ace Hardware, Grainger, Fastenal and several other online fastener suppliers.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Fastenal in Annapolis, but I believe they have stores nationwide? A block away from BaconSails.

srimes

Jun 9, 2020
Macgregor 26D Brookings
The local ace hardware hardware has a good selection, all sold individually. And it's 2 blocks from work so I can walk there on break.
McMaster has most everything and a well organized website. Usually pay a little more for the service.
Amazon and ebay are hit-or-miss. Lot of stuff there, sometimes at great prices, but can be hard to find. Must know what you want and what it's called!

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
Note that quality can vary a lot. McMaster does their own ''due diligence' and states the full specs on darned near every part that they sell. Amazon stuff is a lot riskier, IMHO.

Sep 15, 2013
Catalina 270 Baltimore
Fastenal in Annapolis, but I believe they have stores nationwide? A block away from BaconSails.
Second that. They sold me 2 odd screws for my shift lever. Great folks and they are all over.

RitSim

Jan 29, 2018
Beneteau 411 Branford
McMaster.com

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
I have had good luck finding stainless bolts and screws at Fastenal, The store in my small town in Michigan has drawers with individual fasteners as well as box quantities. If they happen not to have what is needed, they can usually order from their source.

McMaster Carr is another good source.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
McMaster.com You'll have to buy 5. You may have to cut the 100 mm ones down.

Nov 21, 2007
Thanks for all of the replies! I had forgotten about McMaster-Carr. I have dealt with Tacoma Screw, Fastenal, and McClendon's all before, but too far I've not found anything on the web sites that I've checked. I'll let you know what I finally find. It's the socket head and the longest length that seem to be the problem. Easy to find a phillips head version, but not the socket drive. I'll buy 5, if that's necessary, a lot better that 25!

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
McMaster Carr is a great resource I was able to rebuild my entire roller furling system with 304 SS balls and roll pins from McMaster at about 1/10 the price that Selden wanted.

Nov 3, 2018
Cape Dory, Albin 300ms Motorsailer, Vega Baltimore
I’ve had good experiences with Albany County Fastener. I think they are in NJ. Good selection and customer service.

Nov 21, 2007
McMaster-Carr looks like the winner! I thought they were wholesale only. Super easy to set up an account, the web site is simple and fast. The longer of the two screws were available individually, only the shorter screw had a multi-pack of five - and that was still $.30 less than the total for the four longer screws.

I'm a fan for life, now! :thumbup: