Where to find folding winch handles?

Mar 13, 2011
Islander Freeport 41 Longmont
Why folding? I keep a winch handle at the mast, mounted in a winch pocket attached at the base of the mast. Of course I have 2 winches on my mast but, I don't have to worry about which winch handle I winch with, and my crew doesn't have to unfold anything so its simpler for them as well.

Just a thought

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I also can see no reason for a folding winch handle, but the one you are looking at is galvanized steel, which probably won't stand up to being on a boat very long.
We keep a handle in a winch on the mast and it is instantly available for any of the winches. I can just imagine a folding one not unfolding just when you need it most or the tiny pin at the joint breaking, because that is Murphy's Law, isn't it?

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Having a winch handle sticking a foot out from the mast is a safety concern. Im often putting the sails up while I'm being tossed around so the fewer things I have to mess with the better. A folding handle seems like the best of both worlds. I also have a tendancy to misplace things so it's best if i have a semi-permanently attached handle.

Im not terribly worried about the handle snapping off since it's not a heavy load. I can get the main up 90-95% of the way without a winch

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I owned a Catalina 25 for 13 years and never felt the need to use a winch on the mainsail. Could your issues raising your main fully be traced to something else?

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Even if you cut down the originally pictured handle, how would you keep it from falling out of the winch on every passing powerboat wake? I prefer the idea of having a holder on the mast and keeping a handle there if you will need it often enough.

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
Non-locking aside, your pic looks a lot like a "Tin Lzzie" (Model T Ford) crank handle to me.
there is a locking winch handle available here:

for $23 USD which should work for light duty.

Mar 2, 2019
Oday 25 Milwaukee
We were taught to wrap the halyard around the winch several times when the sail is almost all the way up . Now pull the halyard away from the mast and watch the leech tension increase . Tail the winch and repeat . No need for a winch .

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I owned a Catalina 25 for 13 years and never felt the need to use a winch on the mainsail. Could your issues raising your main fully be traced to something else?
A very squeeky block at the top of the mast that hasn't seen lubrication in 20 years? It'll be serviced at the end of the season

Even if you cut down the originally pictured handle, how would you keep it from falling out of the winch on every passing powerboat wake? I prefer the idea of having a holder on the mast and keeping a handle there if you will need it often enough.
I hope and pray that their prop tries to eat it :biggrin: A hammer and shims could hold it in there while still being able to force it out if needed

We were taught to wrap the halyard around the winch several times when the sail is almost all the way up . Now pull the halyard away from the mast and watch the leech tension increase . Tail the winch and repeat . No need for a winch .
Do you mean simply wrapping the halyard around the winch and then pull on the tail? Sounds like it's creating a 2:1 ratio almost

May 17, 2004
Do you mean simply wrapping the halyard around the winch and then pull on the tail? Sounds like it's creating a 2:1 ratio almost
Not really pulling on the tail - that wouldn't add any mechanical advantage. Rather pulling on the length of line above the winch before it enters the mast, in a direction straight away from the mast. Then you tail the winch to take up the slack as you release the part above the winch. It's a technique called sweating the halyard, and can provide lots of mechanical advantage if you can tail the slack out properly.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Not really pulling on the tail - that wouldn't add any mechanical advantage. Rather pulling on the length of line above the winch before it enters the mast, in a direction straight away from the mast. Then you tail the winch to take up the slack as you release the part above the winch. It's a technique called sweating the halyard, and can provide lots of mechanical advantage if you can tail the slack out properly.
Is this for putting the sail up or down? Is this technique relying on line stretch to help pull slack out (kind of like a spring)?

May 17, 2004
Is this for putting the sail up or down? Is this technique relying on line stretch to help pull slack out (kind of like a spring)?
Putting the sail up. (If you need a winch to pull the sail down, you really do need to fix your friction situation :yikes: )

It's not really line stretching. It's all the mechanical advantage of pulling perpendicular to the mast that overcomes the friction and weight of the sail, pulling it up a few inches. Then the friction holds the sail up while you quickly pull the slack out, letting the halyard return to the mast. Then repeat to move another few inches.

Possibly a better description at eOceanic - Getting the sails up faster and easier by 'sweating' the line

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
I would also like a folding winch handle. I have a pocket mounted on the front of the mast for the handle. Twice the jib sheet line caught and flipped the handle overboard. A handle that folded that may not get caught by the sheet would be nice. I hate carrying a winch handle forward to raise the mainsail. Winch handle will not fit in my pants pocket securely so I have to keep it in my hand which I need to keep me on board.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I would also like a folding winch handle. I have a pocket mounted on the front of the mast for the handle. Twice the jib sheet line caught and flipped the handle overboard. A handle that folded that may not get caught by the sheet would be nice. I hate carrying a winch handle forward to raise the mainsail. Winch handle will not fit in my pants pocket securely so I have to keep it in my hand which I need to keep me on board.
You brought up some good points that I never thought of

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
I just came from BaconSails.com store in Annapolis. They have 5 bins of handles, but none that fold. Sorry

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
You might consider moving the winch handle pocket to another location, on the back side of the mast perhaps... under the boom.