Where to find additional info . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddeand

Oct 12, 2010
Hunter 170/18 Everywhere
Since I'm new to the Hunter club, I'd like to find some additional info on my boat. As I mentioned in a previous post, I have a Hunter 170 with a replacement fiberglass Hunter 18 hull (or more accurately, a Hunter 18 with 170 sails and rigging from 2006). Since the 170 sails are smaller than the sails that come on the new 18s, I figure that at some point, when I need to replace the sails, I'll get the sails that are appropriate for the 18. Right now, the smaller sails will work fine as I learn how to sail this boat. The differences in mast height and sail size opens up some interesting options for me in the future.

But I would like to find more info about the dimensions, manufacturer, design, etc. of the sails for the two models. Most of the other info I need seems to be available in on this forum. I'm just wondering if there are other websites that go into more detail about these boats? Where do you guys go for your info?

Thanks,
Dean

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH

ddeand

Oct 12, 2010
Hunter 170/18 Everywhere
Thanks, Ed -

I did e-mail Hunter, and they provided me with the Owner's Manual for the 170and that had the I-J-P-E numbers. Apparently, they don't have the manual for the 18 yet. There are so many questions I have about the different way things are measured on these boats. E.g., the mast height on the 170 is listed at 25'6" and the height on the 18 is 24'6" - yet the sails on the 18 are apparently larger. Where do the measurements originate? Is the mast height measured from the bottom of the hull, the bottom of the deck, the actual length of the mast itself, or a combination of some of those? How different is the mast step height on the two models?

I guess the reason I'd like to know a bit more is that eventually, I'll have to do some replacements, and I'd like to have some options. Anyway, thanks for taking the time to help me out.

Dean

Feb 26, 2010
Hunter 15 Fremantle, Western Australia
Interesting questions! If the sail area for the H18 is 20 sq feet more than the H170, I would think that the foot must be longer. Re your mast, have you measured the length? One of the 170 owners could give you the measurement of their mast so you'd know for sure what you are dealing with. Probably should get a measurement of the boom length too.
PS. I think mast height doesn't refer to length but to the measurement of how high the mast sits above the waterline. Useful to know before you sail under a bridge!
Cheers

ddeand

Oct 12, 2010
Hunter 170/18 Everywhere
Thanks for the info. I have measured the mast - it is 24' in length and the boom is 8'7" in length ( I am assuming those are the standard 170 model mast and boom lengths). The mast step is about 8" tall giving the mast height from the deck about 24'8".

I would be interested in hearing from other 170 owners regarding the length of their masts and booms, and if anyone has one of the new 18s, it would be fun to hear from them. Since I won't be able to get the boat in the water until next Spring, I'm reduced to feeding my excitement about my new acquisition by asking inane questions here - please bear with me!

Thanks,
Dean

Feb 26, 2010
Hunter 15 Fremantle, Western Australia
We all know what you're feeling.
"Oh, the sweet madness of the new boat owner. We all realise that the boat, itself, doesn't even have to be new, just new to us. Beside a car or truck, what else in your life presents you with such an opportunity to accessorise, to make that object of desire reflect the uniqueness of your inner soul."
All seriousness aside, now is a great opportunity for you to consider how other Hunter Daysailer owners modified their boats to suit there local conditions or to make them just 'that much better'. Read the articles published in the Boat Info/Owner Modifications/H170 or H146 or H15 sections (No one has registered in the H18section yet). You'll see some great ideas. Being a new H15 owner I have found these article very useful and have taken a lot of the advice on board (literally). Lately I have applied some of the great advice by Rusty S. in the H170 Owner Mod section. I installed an inspection port in the cuddy area. The one I installed has a waterproof container that fits inside. Also I am working up a variation to Rusty's great upgrade to a wooden laminated tiller.
This is a great site. As I new owner myself I have benefited and am very grateful to the the very knowledgeable sailors who so freely share their skills, insights and opinions.
Now that it is the Northern Winter it's the time to dream, plan and search ebay for those great bargains on boat bits.

Status
Not open for further replies.