Where to drain A/C condensate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 26, 2006
Hunter 31 1987 Fly Creek Marina Fairhope,AL.
I noticed the other day that my builge pump was running every couple of minutes then off coming on about every 2 minutes . Investigated and found the pump barrings were shot. Luckily I have a spare pump onboard so it was a 5 minute job. However there is a small trickle of water coming from the A/C drain hose.

Im thinking I need to drain this overboard and not into the builge.

Input please as i knkow this is a matter of preference really.

Thanks and fair winds

Chuck

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
My unit is below the waterline, so I don't have that option. If yours is high enough to avoid back flow when heeled, ya should be able to drain overboard.. The other thing that is available is the eductor device that hooks into the cooling water line and sucks the condensate up when the unit is running. It uses the flow of the cooling water to pump the condensate overboard with the cooling water. Like this:
http://www.tropicalmarineairconditioning.com/marvair-cr330discharge-marine-airconditioning.html

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Save your money and go to any water bed store and get this for $20:

http://www.thewaterbeddoctor.com/detail.aspx?ID=2955

You can inventory most of the parts. Just T the venturi tube into the discharge water line and connect to the pan drain. Anybody who is buying those marketed brands for marine A/C units is doing a great thing for the economy and just wasting money. This $20 part is the same thing!

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 35 Legend Jacksonville, Fl
That's a great idea Don. I've been contemplating spending the big dollars for the Condensator. I currently put a small clorox bottle in my bilge to catch the water from the A/C. Sometimes forget to empty it in time

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
1976 formosa 41 yankee clipper santa barbara. ca.(not there)
mine drains onto deck--i will be adding a lil hose for it to go straight overboard, mebbe a filter for water tanks, and rerouting the water to there....

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
mine drains onto deck--i will be adding a lil hose for it to go straight overboard, mebbe a filter for water tanks, and rerouting the water to there....
Good answer. The condensate is pure, as long as the pipes are clean. I wonder if the AC manufacturers use lead-free solder?

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
Good answer. The condensate is pure, as long as the pipes are clean. I wonder if the AC manufacturers use lead-free solder?
does solder filter out in a ceramic filter?? will be using one of those for water into tanks from hose, also....

Feb 20, 2011
It certainly couldn't hurt, but, I don't know. If the lead/water molecule is any smaller than 0.2 micrometers....Doing a cursory internet search gives answers that vary, according to who's selling which type of filter(go figure). Maybe get it tested?
Most authorities caution that it's the kids who really need to stay away from lead, not so much folks as old as myself, who've already been dumbed down!

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
The real marine AC units use silver solder because of its extra strength. It is silver, copper, and zinc and is lead free. I would test the condensate for lead, but would not be very concerned since the solder does not see the condensate water very much.

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
at this point , lead isnt gonna hurt my learning curve, so i really dont care too much, but water here isnt exactly good, and i will fill using both, but filtered -- the a/c water may be distilled enough for batts i was advised so i will see......

RichH

Feb 14, 2005
Tayana 37 cutter; I20/M20 SCOWS Worton Creek, MD
ummmm BAD idea as the typical bacteria that live on AC condenser coils can be 'real bad' such as Legionella (the cause of commonly fatal -Legionaire's Disease).

Just about everyone uses lead free solder.

Nov 26, 2006
Hunter 31 1987 Fly Creek Marina Fairhope,AL.
I noticed the other day that my builge pump was running every couple of minutes then off coming on about every 2 minutes . Investigated and found the pump barrings were shot. Luckily I have a spare pump onboard so it was a 5 minute job. However there is a small trickle of water coming from the A/C drain hose.

Im thinking I need to drain this overboard and not into the builge.

Input please as i knkow this is a matter of preference really.

Thanks and fair winds

Chuck
Thanks for all the great info. there is lots of food for thought. Spent most of the afternoon onboard today isolating the source of the water and it appears that it is coming from the cooling coils that the water flows thru. I check both hoses and they are dry so the leak is aparently inside the copper coils in the unit. Tommorow it comes out for closer pinpoint inspection. Just hope i find out i can get to the leak to fix it rather than a new unit. This one was install in 2007 i think.

Feb 20, 2011
ummmm BAD idea as the typical bacteria that live on AC condenser coils can be 'real bad' such as Legionella (the cause of commonly fatal -Legionaire's Disease).

Just about everyone uses lead free solder.
As long as the ceramic filter is good and maintained, would that be a problem? Nice to hear about the lead-free.

Status
Not open for further replies.