Where to connect Solar Panel on a small system?

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
I wanted to post this question here because I see in the general area people go Bat $hit Crazy when it comes to electrical issues and battery charging.

Considering that I plan to keep my boat moored to a buoy with no shore power (duh) for recharging, I want to use this solar panel;

http://www.batterytender.com/Solar/15-Watt-Solar-Tender-Charger-With-Built-in-Controller.html

Where do the leads connect? Directly to the battery? To the Pos/Neg bus bars? to the Bat disconnect switch?

Now let me make this question much more complicated;
Haven't decided what battery set -up I will use but I know this much;
- Moving the battery forward to the compartment under the V Berth, the one that goes to the hull, not the lined one. I will make a custom tray.
- My cut-off switch will most likely be flush mounted near the companion-way, either in the step or in the teak side support of the port seat back/bulkhead.
- I'm either using two 6V Trojans in series, or 2 Interstate Deep Cycles in parallel... both types of batteries I can get for $115 each. if I go with the Interstate deep cycle I have the advantage of starting with one battery and adding the second later.

Now, to go double or nothing... I'd like to have two of these Solar Panels, how will that work?

I know there are a few C22 owners here who are pretty smart with 12V systems, so what do you think?

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
I'll get back to you later as I am researching now as the total cost for only 30 watts concerns me. Chief

Sep 8, 2014
I just did some looking around the old InterWebs... I can get a 40 W Panel for $79 and use a $25 Solar controller, so that simplifies it. Wont have to worry about how to connect two panels.

Nov 26, 2012
OK, I'm back. Go to Amazon and hit "Tektrum premium 80 watt High-efficiency mono-crystalline solar panel/mppt controller/PV cables, battery charger kit". You can shop around on Amazon but that seems like a nice fit for you and it all costs only $242 inc shipping. Its only 4' long.
I think I would buy the 2 ea. 6 volt batteries if I were you. Run through the controller directly to the batteries.
Get back to me on my email or continue it here.

Chief

Nov 26, 2012
Clouddiver: Be sure the controller is MPPT! Call me also if you want to talk it over. Chief

Sep 8, 2014
I'm not going to be buying this anytime soon, but I need to draw out my electrical system on paper... Trying to make sure I've got everything planned right because modifications will effect the way I put the interior back together.
I need to make sure a have a weather-tight entry for the wire from the panel to the controller in the case I am leaving the panel out while moored or if I have it rail mounted while sailing.

Nov 26, 2012
Ok, all you need to do is just call me or email me when you are ready. Chief

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
Luke,

I use the same connection on the transom for my outboard charger, and my 30 watt solar panel. That way when I store the boat in the storage yard, it keeps my battery topped off. The controller is just glued underneath the solar panel as the photo shows with a little 5200. The plug are made for the marine environment, and even come with a cap to cover the female side when not being used. Downwind Marine on Canon Street in Pt Loma sells the rail mounts, and the plug, as does the internet. I've had the set-up for a couple years of so now with no problems. Years ago on my original C-22 like yours, I just plugged the solar charger into the cigarette lighter/12V receptacle. It was hooked up direct to the battery anyway.

You getting close to splashing that thing?

Don

Attachments

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Luke,

I use the same connection on the transom for my outboard charger, and my 30 watt solar panel. That way when I store the boat in the storage yard, it keeps my battery topped off. The controller is just glued underneath the solar panel as the photo shows with a little 5200. The plug are made for the marine environment, and even come with a cap to cover the female side when not being used. Downwind Marine on Canon Street in Pt Loma sells the rail mounts, and the plug, as does the internet. I've had the set-up for a couple years of so now with no problems. Years ago on my original C-22 like yours, I just plugged the solar charger into the cigarette lighter/12V receptacle. It was hooked up direct to the battery anyway.

Don
That Genasun controller should be close to the batteries and out of the elements. The Genasun MPPT has a temp compensation feature that means it needs to be at a similar temp to the batteries or you are getting robbed of energy. That solar panel will get very hot and cause the controller to reduce charge voltage.

Nov 26, 2012
MS, He may not be able to remove his controller as he stated he used 5200 to bond it on.
Chief

Nov 19, 2008
Mounting size is pretty much unlimited. I met a guy with a C-22 that lives in Avalon and he has a 100W or larger solar panel mounted on the rear between the stern pulpit ends,(he goes out and plays with his ham radio set-up onboard). So I would say size only depends on the mounting, and once the clamps are finger tight, my panel doesn't move, even when I've woke up at night only to see a big egret sitting on it.

Never thought about the heat effects on the controller. I need to hook up my meter and watch the output in various conditions. If the heat is a problem, I can pop it off with some release fluid I have. 5200 is permanent until the release fluid hit it.

Don

Sep 8, 2014
Don, great stuff, thanks!

Splash is probably still 2 months away... I have been really dragging my feet but I feel like I'm about to crest the hill here. Full disclosure, I do really need to have refurb done and splashed before I start Grad School in September. money is tight!

Luke,

Don

Sep 8, 2014
Yes, I would for sure mount the controller inside and near the batteries. I'm shopping for a quality but affordable controller. If I replace the panel or add an additional panel it is easier to keep the controller and make mods as needed.

So where exactly do the charge leads from the controller connect? directly to the battery down-stream of the fuses? At the battery disconnect switch?

That Genasun controller should be close to the batteries and out of the elements. The Genasun MPPT has a temp compensation feature that means it needs to be at a similar temp to the batteries or you are getting robbed of energy. That solar panel will get very hot and cause the controller to reduce charge voltage.

Nov 26, 2012
I went straight out of the controller directly to the batteries. Inline a fuse if you want to. Chief

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
I'm looking to eventually install a solar panel so I'll be following this thread with interest.

Nov 19, 2008
Something to think about.....I've installed a dual battery system several years ago, but now I'm re-thinking if I really need it. All of my running lights, and both the red and white interior lights are now LED's, so my light draw on the battery is minimal. I've never depleted one of the two group-27 deep cycle batteries while using the running lights, occasional interior light, autopilot, VHF, GPS, and charging the smart phone, and this scenario has been repeated numerous times all day long, and several overnight adventures. So I'm thinking when and if one of the house batteries goes south, I'll probably just go back to a single deep cycle battery.

Would sure simplify things...

Don

Sep 8, 2014
Good point Don. If I went with 2 Trojan 6V in series it would be very heavy, but double the amp hours of using two group 27's in parallel, and that could even be overkill.

I think my amp draw would be similar to yours. I haven't 'done the math' on total amp draw, but I'm fairly certain I won't be exceeding the same general outline you just described.

Something to think about.....I've installed a dual battery system several years ago, but now I'm re-thinking if I really need it. All of my running lights, and both the red and white interior lights are now LED's, so my light draw on the battery is minimal. I've never depleted one of the two group-27 deep cycle batteries while using the running lights, occasional interior light, autopilot, VHF, GPS, and charging the smart phone, and this scenario has been repeated numerous times all day long, and several overnight adventures. So I'm thinking when and if one of the house batteries goes south, I'll probably just go back to a single deep cycle battery.

Would sure simplify things...

Don

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada