Where to buy outboard?

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
Wouldn't thought it be this difficult to buy a simple outboard. Trying to get 2020 6 hp Tohatsu. Live in NJ drive thru Delaware to get to boat in Maryland so have tried dealers listed on Tohatsu but no luck. Some of the dealers listed on the Tohatsu as dealers don't actually even sell Tohatsu! Backup plan was online dealer. Emailed and called iboats and never got response. Outboards.com reviews don't inspire confidence. Anyone know of a good dealer?

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Onlineoutboards.com will mail one to your front door.

Sep 23, 2009
Onlineoutboards I think had some very bad reviews? Has anyone experience with them? Would be perfect as no shipping or sales tax. Will give Franzwas a call.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Sure you can probably get a better deal from an online dealer but don’t count on a local dealer to put you as first in line and demanding payment before engine was repaired regardless of warranty. Went thru that as a Tohatsu dealer and there were a few whoppers. One brought in which a friend worked on worked on that invalidated warranty. Another demanding motor without payment threatening a lawsuit but finally paid in required cash. Oh forgot the idiot threatening with a pistol. My dog took a big bite out of his leg. I could go on

Jan 19, 2010
Onlineoutboards I think had some very bad reviews? Has anyone experience with them? Would be perfect as no shipping or sales tax. Will give Franzwas a call.
No personal experience. I got my Tohatsu 6 from a local dealer.... and he charged me the exact same price as the online... to the penny. I talked to him at the store and he said he could have one shipped in but it would take a few days... so... I suspect that "onlineoutboards" is actually run by Tohatsu. But that is pure speculation on my part.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
If you can't find someone (a dealer) to sell you one locally, how would you expect to get warranty work done if you have a problem?
I have no personal experience, but the cruising community down here has been pretty vocal of the refusal of the dealer to honor the warranty. I'd get a Yamaha and not have to worry about a second rate outboard working when you need it.

Jan 19, 2010
Hmmm.... sounds like you just threw some shade on Tohatsu. I love mine. This spring (after three months of sitting) it started on the first pull. I've also had a Yamaha.... they also seem very solid.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
It happens to many dealers and is a choice whom to work with. My policy was no engine could leave without being paid for first. Repair bill did include reimbursement when warranty paid. However we did experience those who weren’t honest which is why early on I had to adopt that policy. Even found a few engines stolen trying to get warranty on them. You have no idea what dealers had to go thru

Aug 14, 2019
Tartan 34c Toms River
I'm not sure but try tuckerton Marine on Green Street, obviously in tuckerton. Used to do business with them years back I'm pretty sure they carried them. Worth a try

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Onlineoutboards.com I bought a 3.5 hp from them three years ago. Good price, free shipping. No probs... They're out of Tennesse. They offer Tohatsu, Suzuki, Nissan, Honda, etc.

BTW....Unless you have had actual experience with a company, I think it's uncool to dis them... just sayin'. If you have had a bad experience with a company... by all means... but to say I think they got some bad reviews...uh, uh. That's gossip.

You can also order outboards through Defender.com. They have a brick and mortar store in Connecticut.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2009
I am not dissing anyone just reporting the fact and wondering if there is any merit to it. I believe that is appropriate for an open forum. As stated in the op I have reasons to select a 2020 Tohatsu. I most definitely prefer to buy from a bricks and mortar dealer but so far have had no luck with those I have called in Pa, Del and Md. They have 4 hp or 8 hp and all are 2018 2019 etc. Franzwas is far from me but will give them a call for sure. Same for Tuckerton.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I am not dissing anyone just reporting the fact and wondering if there is any merit to it. I believe that is appropriate for an open forum.
Your original post said: "Onlineoutboards I think had some very bad reviews? " Don't really consider that as "reporting a fact". As I stated, I had very good experience with the company. You can quote me as a source for a positive review.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
A bit off subject here, but I thought I'd heard that the US was no longer selling new 2 stroke outboards. Is this untrue?

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
Since 2011 I've bought 2 Tohatsu 6HP Sail Pro MFS6DSPROUL from Online Outboards and never had a problem. I bought another one about 3 years ago from Inflatable Boats with no problem. They had been test run and the warranty issued. The only issue I ever had with this engine was due to some bad gas. Unless they changed something the 4,5 and 6 hp are the same except for the carburetor. I always bought the Sail Pro for the shaft length and 5 amp charging.

Sep 23, 2009
Want to thank all who replied. I seem to SOL.
Called Franzwa's they were very nice but no longer sell Tohatsu but do service them. Called Tuckerton twice but not answering and from the look of their website they don't carry them anymore either. As last resort called Online Outboards and told they are on back order for at least a month.
Looks like may have to wait for fall boatshows.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
If there is a fall boat show.
Sounds like we on the east coast may be in luck this fall.
According to their website the Annapolis Fall Sailboat show is still on. The site lists the changes being made this year to meet Covid-19 restrictions.