Where to buy new sails??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 19, 2011
Catalina 22 Ohio
I have a 1985 Catalina 22. I think the sails it came with are original, and they've had it.

I want to buy a new set of sails. (main and 100% jib) I don't need the latest and greatest for racing. I just want decent cruzin' sails.

Where are some good places to buy them? Price is a factor.

Thanks

Sep 21, 2005
Catalina 22 Henderson Bay, NY
I would give Catalina Direct a call. They have both mains and jibs for sale. We purchased a new 110 from them this spring. We have also purchased sails from Mack. The price from either one is very good. The Mack sails are very well made, and are made here in the US. You will spend less with CD than Mack. Hopes this helps.

Dale

Feb 9, 2008
Catalina 22 Long Beach Harbor, MS
I got my cruising main 2 seasons ago from Atlantic Sail Traders. Nice to work with and pleased with the price and quality of the sail...

Mar 19, 2011
Catalina 22 Ohio
I would give Catalina Direct a call. They have both mains and jibs for sale. We purchased a new 110 from them this spring. We have also purchased sails from Mack. The price from either one is very good. The Mack sails are very well made, and are made here in the US. You will spend less with CD than Mack. Hopes this helps.

Dale
I always thought Catalina direct was really expensive.

I found this place:

http://nationalsail.com/mcart/index.cgi?code=3&cat=14

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 21, 2005
Catalina 22 Henderson Bay, NY
The best thing you can do is figure out what you have to spend on sails, and then find the best product at that price. Sails are like anyother item you buy. There is a huge difference in the quality of sails. All of them and not created equal. What will they look like in two or three seasons? If you plan on keeping the boat for only a season or two, then it will not pay to buy really good sails. If you plan on keeping the boat for the long haul, then it will pay to invest in better sails. Years ago I was in the ski business, and in all of those years I never had anyone say to me they were sorry they spent more on a ski package. Many many times I heard people say they wish they had spent alittle more and purchased the better pair of skis. Just don't spend more than you can afford. Hope this helps.

Dale

Apr 8, 2010
Frers 33 41426 Westport, CT
I ordered new sails from the Neil Pryde loft in Milford, CT last fall. I interviewed most of the loft that were at the Annapolis sailboat show and the hands down most willing to explain the differences in sail cloth, and why i should have one over the other was Bob Pattison from Neil Pryde. After i placed the order and put down the deposit, he came down and spent 2 hours measuring the boat and discussing pros and cons of different cuts for the genoa (high clew vs low).

I won't get the sails for another month or so, but i have to say i am very pleased with the level of attention and degree of expertise they have demonstrated to date.

I'm not sure where you are located (sailboatowners.com android mobile app doesn't display that i guess), but if you have a local loft that will come out and measure the boat (my mast was 3" shorter than spec) and work with you, you will definitely have a better experience and be happier anxious more comfortable with the buying experience. If you are lucky enough to be on long island sound, in particular the north shore, (or if you don't find a local loft you like and trust) call Bob with Neil Pryde.

Moral of this story, when buying sails, buy based on customer support as much as any other factor. I could have saved a couple hundred dollars if i had gone elsewhere, but i wouldn't have been able to get the genoa cut differently to better fit my genoa track placement, or have the main cut as to ensure the boom doesn't hit the (New last season) bimini when tacking.

Ken

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 22 P. P. Y. C.
Lots to think about

Many lofts out there that know your boat. But some questions; furler? Interested in one? Several lofts offer deals on head sail/furler as a unit. Of course that will add another question for you, "which furler will you choose"

Do you now or are do you intend to race? Different sail material. As you can see it very hard to tell you which loft to turn too.

I like and have used north Sails in the past. But there is a new sail maker who moved a couple of hours away, he makes outstanding sails.

As stated before your budget is going to play a huge part as is the sail material you finally decide on.

A search for sails lofts will give you plenty to read.

Not much help I'm afraid. :confused:

Apr 8, 2010
Frers 33 41426 Westport, CT
johnguitar said:
Thanks, but I'm in central Ohio...there isn't anyone that's going to come out for a visit.
Call Bob, he can still ship them to you. Worst case you waste a few minutes talking to him, but i dont think itll be a waste. If you canter find the number let me know and ill pm it to you when i get to my computer

Jul 5, 2010
Oday 22, Mariner, Challenger 15 Michigan
I have a 1985 Catalina 22. I think the sails it came with are original, and they've had it.

I want to buy a new set of sails. (main and 100% jib) I don't need the latest and greatest for racing. I just want decent cruzin' sails.

Thanks
I would stay away from K-H Sails in Englewood, CO.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego

Thanks
Try www.thesailwarehouse.com . They will have stock sails for your boat in a few different price/quality categories.

Status
Not open for further replies.