Where Is Your Battery Charger?

Feb 18, 2022
Catalina 36 Port Orchard
I’m going to be mounting my battery charger here soon… like in the next few days and I was wondering where others have put theirs. First off my boat for those who don’t already know is a 1979 Catalina 30. My original charger was located under the cockpit in the qtr berth. It’s a pretty center Al location, but anyone sleeping in there is going to have to contend with it, as well as if you are not careful when storing things it could be in the way.

I was also thinking the port lazzarette and mounting it behind where the cooler is, seems safe enough, unless someone gets really excited when stowing gear in there. There is also the aft bulkhead in the same compartment but that starts moving it farther away from the batteries… granted only 4 or 5 feet farther, but still. The aft bulkhead is actually becoming my favorite location at the moment.

So where have you all mounted yours? Oh and my charger is a Sterling 1240 which is the exact same as the ProNautica 1240.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
that starts moving it farther away from the batteries… granted only 4 or 5 feet farther, but still.
What's your concern about how far away the charger is from the batteries ? It sounds like you're really cramped for space back there.

As long as it's not on the next boat over from you, shouldn't be a problem :facepalm:.

Feb 18, 2022
Catalina 36 Port Orchard
What's your concern about how far away the charger is from the batteries ? It sounds like you're really cramped for space back there.

As long as it's not on the next boat over from you, shouldn't be a problem :facepalm:.
I have always heard that you want to keep the charger as close to the batteries as possible to reduce power loss in the cables and what have you. I’m not thinking it would matter much… but just wanting to know what is considered good practice and what others with my boat have done successfully.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Hi Mike, the original on my 93 C30 was mounted in the compartment under the aft starboard seat. I've also seen the charger mounted in other C30s in the port lazzarette as you mentioned above.
When I installed my new charger I put it under the nav station, as seen in the photo below. Not sure if you have that area available on your year boat.
IMG_1455.JPG

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Location for a charger is like Location in Real Estate.

You want the charger to be in a place that is
  • Dry,
  • Safe from damage,
  • has plenty of air circulation to keep the unit cool,
  • is visible and accessible as you may want to alter the charge coding for your battery type
  • Accessible as you may want to kick in the equalization feature.
  • Accessible in case you want to remove the temp sensor during the winter months.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
I have always heard that you want to keep the charger as close to the batteries as possible to reduce power loss in the cables
This can be overcome by using a larger wire sized to produce a very small voltage drop for the current output of the charger.

The power loss in the cable is:

W = V x I

Power loss in watts = W
Voltage drop across the cable = V
Current flowing in the cable = I

When you make the voltage drop (V) across the cable very small, the power loss (W) becomes very small.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2013
Catalina 30TR, Atomic 4 2480 Milwaukee
In my ‘82, the charger is in the nav station, above the batteries.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I wouldn't want the sound or the heat generated in the cabin space. I have the same charger. It's in the starboard laz. My 3 batteries are in the port laz. I have the remote panel near my power panel.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I don’t have a C30, but on my O’Day 322, my battery charger is mounted on the bulkhead in the lazzarett. Pretty safe, secure spot on my boat.

Greg

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
With regard to battery charger noise while sleeping; this would only occur if you are sleeping while at a slip. And even then if your batteries are near fully charged the cooling fan in the charger may not run at all.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
And even then if your batteries are near fully charged the cooling fan in the charger may not run at all.
Thad depends. My Xantrex 20A charger fan comes on whenever the refrigerator cycles on, drawing about 5 amps from the charger. It’s in an aft cabin locker and not enough to wake me, but it’s intermittent nature is enough to keep me awake a little longer when I’m trying to fall asleep.

Feb 18, 2022
Catalina 36 Port Orchard
Well the aft bulkhead of the lazzarette is where the charger lives now. The cables should be here soon and I can hopefully finish up wiring the batteries here soon.

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 380 16 Rochester NY
I don't have the C-30 anymore, but I mounted an old Xantrex-30 3 bank charger under the nav table. I had 4 Trojan 105's mounted as seen and a deep cycle battery very close to the engine that I kept as a reserve.

It seemed to work very nicely.

Attachments

Oct 29, 2012
Catalina 30 TRBS MkII Milwaukee
Hi Mike, the original on my 93 C30 was mounted in the compartment under the aft starboard seat. I've also seen the charger mounted in other C30s in the port lazzarette as you mentioned above.
When I installed my new charger I put it under the nav station, as seen in the photo below. Not sure if you have that area available on your year boat.
View attachment 206151
Same location here, The original was under the quarter berth next to the water heater

Oct 29, 2012
Catalina 30 TRBS MkII Milwaukee
Well the aft bulkhead of the lazzarette is where the charger lives now. The cables should be here soon and I can hopefully finish up wiring the batteries here soon.
What cables? The instructions with the "new" charger should indicate if the existing wires from the charger to the battery are adequate. Guessing #10awg tinned copper should be sufficient for a 20 or 30 amp charger. Just make sure the wire is fused according to manufacturer/ abyc standards

Feb 18, 2022
Catalina 36 Port Orchard
My old battery charger wasn’t in the same location as this new one and I decided that 40 year old hardened and corroded cables would work better if they were replaced with new.