Where is the control unit for my Raymarine autopilot?

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 380 Sandusky Ohio
I have a Hunter 380 and have a problem with my autopilot. I want to check the connections on the control unit but cannot locate it. I know where the compass and rotary drive is but cannot find the control unit. I have been told it is about 8 x 10 inches and a bit less than 3 inches deep and must be installed vertically so it should be easy to find.

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
If it's an ST 6000 or earlier (up to about 2002 maybe ?) it may not have a "control unit" or course computer, the earlier models of Autohelm and Raymarine pilots just had a control head and fluxgate compass, rudder reference transducers were optional.
What year and model is the AP ?

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
It should have a black wire with a red tracer as I remember.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 380 Sandusky Ohio
I don't know the year. It is an ST 5000 and the boat is a 1999 and came from Canada. It probably was installed in 2000 or 2001. I did not know that there may not be a control unit, but I sure cannot find one on this boat.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 380 Sandusky Ohio
That sounds easy and I will try again when I have another person on the boat so they check for vibration or movement when I jiggle the other end. But the based on the size that I have been told that the control unit should be and the fact that it must be installed vertically, I figured I would find it easily with a concerted look. But - no luck.

Aug 2, 2010
J-Boat J/88 Cobourg
Where would one typically find the flux compass? I have a round disc with Raymarine on it sticking slightly out of the cockpit coaming, would that be it? Our unit works sporadically but mostly untrustworthy and occasionally with an error message saying no data.
Dan

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
I'd say they are installed by the selling dealer, not the factory, so location probably varies. IIRC, mine is on the inside the wall of the transom, aft of the lazz. Anchors or other metal objects can influence the compass. I had to move some things in the lazz to clear up that problem.

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
Newer ones have a white gasket instead of red and may have "Raymarine" in white on the end, ideally it would be placed low and toward centerline of boat.