Where is my trailer VIN?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 10, 2011
Catalina 22 Bellingham, WA
Help! I bought a 1976 Catalina 22 on it's original trailer. I believe it is a Trailrite of the same year. It's license plate is gone and I don't lnow where to look for the VIN number. The boat has clear title and, as I said, is on it's original trailer, so I'm sure the lost title is can be verified and replaced. I just don't know how or where to start.

Sep 7, 2011
Hunter H23 Southwind YC, Milford, Kansas
Usually. On the left side of the tongue about where your winch stand connects. May have been painted over.

Sep 19, 2010
Catalina 22 home
Not all trailers have VIN numbers. Also, state laws on registering trailers are often more relaxed than for registering motor vehicles. If you have a title or previous owner registration card, look on there for a VIN. If you find the number, write it on the trailer with an engraving tool or have it put on a metal placard at a trophy shop and pop rivet that onto the trailer. Finally, a call to your DMV or a look at their web site will get you up to speed on registration rules in your State.

Nov 29, 2011
Catalina 22 Dallas - Fort Worth
I also need to register mine, I still have it registered with the last owners name, he sent me an email with an attachment of the renewal notice but I slack on that and haven't done it yet.

Oct 4, 2010
76 Catalina 22 Three Mile Harbor, East Hampton, NY
Registering a trailer in New York that does not have a VIN is tricky. The biggest hurdle I went through was proving the weight of the trailer. DMV recommend a scrap yard as they would give you a weigh receipt, you just have to have you Cat in the water at the time. In NY they considered my no name trailer a "home made" trailer.

OldCat

Jul 26, 2005
Catalina , Nacra 5.8, Laser, Hobie Hawk Wonmop, CO
Help! I bought a 1976 Catalina 22 on it's original trailer. I believe it is a Trailrite of the same year. It's license plate is gone and I don't lnow where to look for the VIN number. The boat has clear title and, as I said, is on it's original trailer, so I'm sure the lost title is can be verified and replaced. I just don't know how or where to start.
You are on the coast, so your regulations may be tough. Still, I'd ask your reg folks what you can do.

I had the same problem on my small boat trailer (not the C22). CO requires a vin or parts receipts for a home made trailer. At the time that I did it, they were not doing inspections or paying attention to GVW ratings. I bought a vin number at Harbor Freight - not such a bad expense for me since I needed some of the more expensive parts in the kit to restore the trailer anyway.

OC

Status
Not open for further replies.