Where in the #@$%! did you put your speakers??

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Perry

We love our Catalina 350 (#97). I am installing a Sony AM/FM/CD player even as we speak (or email). Thankfully, the speaker wire has already been run. But, where, exactly, and what type of speakers did you use? 4 ohms or 8 ohms?? Box speaker or bulkhead mounted?? Any help would be appreciated.

J

Jack

Stern Seats

I mounted one speaker under each stern seat and ran the speaker wire out of the bilge vent and up the stern rails. Very easy, neat job. Hope this helps, good luck!

T

Tim

Look carefully at a brochure

I looked very carefully at the Catalina brochure and installed similar speakers in the same locations as shown. It was very handy that the factory installed the wiring to each location - especially up through the aft stainless tubing to the underseat location. I used the NavPod SP100 speakers (see link) for under the seats - from Dave's Marine (www.brokenlegdave.com) and paid about half what Catalina or Ocean wanted. These mount very nicely under the seats and work fabulous. I did drill a small drain hole in each so that if any water did enter the "pod" enclosure - and it will - that it had a place to drain. The actual speaker (Polyplanar - and included in the SP100 package) is waterproof. Inside, I used Polyplanar 6x9 box speakers on a gimbal bracket mount. Again, from Dave's. I put the port side speaker on the aft side of the shower bulkhead. The material was not quite what I expected - I drilled pilot holes and then had a heck of a time running screws into it. It seemed to be a thin wood veneer and then a thick glass/resin - maybe the pilot holes should have been closer to the screw size. Anyway, the attachment is firm and the wires are right there. Starboard side, I mounted the other speaker on the Fwd face of the Galley cabinet - again, the wires are stowed right there and the brochure shows the speakers installed in these locations. I bought a hardwired remote system AM/FM/CD system from Clarion (via Boaters World on the internet). I haven't yet installed the remote out to the console, but the wire run should be straightforward - once I get the guts to open up the Edson pedestal/instrument panel and figure out where to drill the 2" hole, and how to route the cable down from the panel through the pedestal. Looks like there should be plenty of room inside the diamond pedestal, but I won't know 'till I look. Tim "April IV" C350 #68 Seattle

B

Bob Kelly

Speakers

Mounted two poly planer indoor speakers on opposite sides of the forward salon. Mounted two Poly Planer speakers under the stern seats -was pre-wired. Works and looks great.

B

Bill

8 ohm Polk

I installed 8ohm Polk outdoor Atrium. Put a pair under the rear rail seats, sounds great. Wire was partially pre run, had to connect runs in the back under the deck seat. Sounded so good I bought another pair for inside the cabin. Their installed to the pre run wire by the salon / head bulkhead and on the starbord side just by the front closet. Best sounding small speaker I ever heard, you don't lose the bass outside. Yes the radio is for 4 ohm speakers and the speakers are 8 ohms, not a problem, don't let them tell you it is a problem, I verified this with an electrical engineer who builds speakers.

A

Andy

Stereo

For $100, I bought a great AC Panisonic stereo system that is portable. I have two speakers with great "live" sound. The unit is quite thin and has a remote. I am a touring recordig artist (www.andykimbel.com) so sound quality is very important to me. When the kids are watching DVD 's below, or we are hnging out above deck, we simply place the unit in the cockpit on the companion way with a speaker on each side. Below, the unit stays on the engine compartmnent behind the stairs (heat is not an issue). Music project done for now. Happy Listening! (Please support live music whenever you can)!

S

Steve

I agree withTim

Like Tim,I bought the NavPod speakers and installed them under my "catbird seats" on my 2002 C-320. I was able to purchase them through Boat-US as a special order. With the wire already pulled through the stern pulpit, the wiring and mounting was fairly easy (although you should put a depth guage on your drill to prevent drilling all the way through the seat with the pilot screw holes). Unlike Tim, I purchased and installed West Marine box speakers inside the cabin. The were much less expensive than the Polyplanar speakers that Tim used (and the sound is probably slightly lower in quality than Tim's system), but I found the trade-off to be acceptable. The stern perch speakers face forward, so the sound is mostly directed into the cockpit, but it was enjoyable to sail around at the start of a cross Lake Michigan race playing "The Ride of the Valkuries" at full blast.

K

Ken Juul

speakers

don't forget to check in with Sam's Wholesale club or one of the other wholesale type clubs. I picked up a pair of outdoor Bose for about half the catalog price.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Interior speaker locations

Many people intuitively put their inside speakers port and starboard, and up forward on the bulkhead. However you're usually sitting on one side of the boat or the other, so either the right or left speaker will be closer to you ears. Consider putting the speakers inside fore and aft around midcabin. We have our on our port shelf, one amidships and one forward near the bulkhead. When we're sitting at the salon table, the sound is great and from both speakers. Test it out before you drill holes. May work for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.