Where does this wire go?

Oct 31, 2022
Catalina Capri 22 Huntington
In my Capri 22 behind the breaker panel there is a wire screwed to the out terminal side of a breaker that is labeled “instruments”. The boat has no instruments on it. Is this a pre feed wire going somewhere in case an instrument is added later? Anyone know where this wire may end? @Crazy Dave Condon were you a Catalina dealer? Perhaps you may know?

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Hard to say what a previous owner may have done. Maybe there were summer kind of portable instruments that have been removed. Maybe it was a feed run ahead of time like you said. Maybe it was run in case instruments were added but has since been repurposed for some other device. You’ll probably need to trace it to know for sure. You could consider a fox and hound style wire tracer to help with that process.

Oct 31, 2022
Hard to say what a previous owner may have done. Maybe there were summer kind of portable instruments that have been removed. Maybe it was a feed run ahead of time like you said. Maybe it was run in case instruments were added but has since been repurposed for some other device. You’ll probably need to trace it to know for sure. You could consider a fox and hound style wire tracer to help with that process.
I should say I am the first owner as it is a 2022. I will take a photo today if I get to the boat.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
I should say I am the first owner as it is a 2022. I will take a photo today if I get to the boat.
Well that does make it easier! You’re probably right that it’s pre-fed in case instruments were added as an option. Probably cheaper for the builder to pre-run the wire on all hulls than add it later after the boat is assembled on hulls where instruments are to be included.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I called my Catalina contact for info. I was advised the 12 volt panel were usually for interior and e outside lights. There may be a spare for anything to be added. I never saw wires being run for anything else except for the hunter 260 compass space molded in at my request. A photo would help

Did you buy through a dealer and if so, who was it?

Oct 31, 2022
I called my Catalina contact for info. I was advised the 12 volt panel were usually for interior and e outside lights. There may be a spare for anything to be added. I never saw wires being run for anything else except for the hunter 260 compass space molded in at my request. A photo would help

Did you buy through a dealer and if so, who was it?
Ok I went and took pictures of the front and back of the panel. While doing so it occurred to me that the plug for the mast wiring (steaming, anchor light) has four prongs. I am now wondering if the fourth hole on the female/deck end has the “instruments” wire going to it. I do not have my multimeter With me to check. Will do Monday, I bet you I see 12v at the un-used terminal when the instruments switch is on. Will report back.

Purchased the boat from Don at G-Winters in NJ last September. BTW

Attachments

Oct 31, 2022
I should have looked at the owners manual that came with the boat before posting :facepalm:. I found a current (?) wiring diagram for the boat. It looks like wires are run to the port side companionway for a future instrument installation. I think I will buy a cheap wire tracing to find exactly where they end. Thank you all for you help and input.

Attachments