Where do you sail??

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

john

I was going to post this as a response to Glen's comment about associations. Where do you all sail your small boats?? I live in Michigan about as far from any of the Great Lake as possible, about an hour to Lake Erie, 2 hours to Lake Huron and probably close to 3 to lake Michigan. My 170 is perfect for the little lakes around where I live. But . . . . I am drawn to bigger water. I have been to Lake Huron twice, and the Grand Traverse Bay once. Haven't made it to Lake Erie or Lake St. Clair. My experiences on larger bodies of water tend to be of the "HOLY CRAP" variety. Usually too much wind too big waves, and suddenly I am aware of my lack of skills. So when I hear about folks with their 140s or 146s or 170s in the San Fransisco Bay, or Gulf of Mexico I am usually pretty impressed. When Glen asked about associations my first thought was that a trip to the Traverse Bay again with a bunch of folks would be safer than going by myself again . . . and maybe if some of them knew what they were doing that would be a bonus as well (insert self deprecating grin here). Anyway where do you sail? The lake I usually go to is about 1000 acres, Lake Huron is bigger than that, I am sure there are some lakes in between. just curious, John

Mar 8, 2005
Hunter 170 Ventura, California
Ventura, California !

John, There is some distance between us. I'm sailing out of Ventura CA, Long Beach,CA an once a year out of Sand Diego Ca. Hunter small sail boats are not as prevalent here on the west cost as they are on the east. (Hopefully this will change) As to sailing large bodies of water, you have to pick your days to do so, when the Pacific Ocean is to windy, high seas or to chopy to sail, I stay in the marina and if thats bad too, We have lunch at a local fish and chips place and head home. All ways sail in your comfort level, if you have doubts about to much wind or seas, don't go out, and remember, "reef sooner than later" I have been very lucky to meet and sail with others who took the time to share their skills / knowledge of sailing with me which has made me a better / safer sailor. There is nothing better than sailing with others who have the same boat, sharing ideas,working on the boats together, having special events to go to, weekend trips, ect. Hopefully, what I posted might just motivate others to get together in their areas and experinece the camaraderie that the Hunter Trailer boats bring to sailing.

abe

Jan 2, 2007
- - channel islands
Well, I am close to Glenn in Channel Islands...

..I have a H36 and I have been stuck out there in 45knott winds with 10-12 swells *yks. I also have Capri 16 and no way on earth will you see me out there 11-18 miles from the shore where weather can suddently change on you. You could choose a nice calm day to go out to the islands....but I must say with a wife and kid its not worth the risk for me in a little boat. I did sail the Capri 16 in Lake Tahoe with 5-6 foot swells and 30knott winds and 10 miles away from home base in S. Lake Tahoe...that was good enough for me..thank you. abe

Tereza

Jun 10, 2005
Hunter 146 Candlewood Lake, CT
Lake Candlewood , Cape Cod Bay

5500 acre Candlewood Lake, Connecticut, for me! Keep my 146 at the tiny marina at the end of my driveway. Occasionally bring it to Cape Cod Bay. Ataching a great link- the 1st 2 paragraphs tell all the important stuff about this interesting lake. The Lake is a HUGE challenge to sail - narrow, surrounded by hills, and on weekends, chock-full of the usual power activities. Winds are either non-existant or too much. When they are there, they vary wildly in both direction and strength. Advantage - it's a 500' walk to get to my rigged boat! Cape Cod Bay is the antithesis - steady winds, usually just right, occasionally too much for me, wide open as can be - can keep a tack forever. The bay, being a vacation spot, give me more willing crew than I ever get on my weekday jaunts on the lake. I try to get on the lake during the week cause I have it to myself. Thankfully, I am still not enough ballast on my own, so I shy away from 15+ kts when single-handing. Love this boat for it's simplicity and ease of trailering.

Status
Not open for further replies.