Where do I find this part

Oct 22, 2006
O DAY 27 LE philadelphia pa
I have a 1987 westerbeke 10 2 diesel. The alternator was replaced before I got the boat. The alternator is a Mitsubishi make. I don’t know the size. Attached to the rear of the alternator is i believe a noise filter.it is a small cylinder maybe 1/2” X 1 1/2” with one wire on it. The part has a Mitsubishi symbol on it and a number A 005. The wire broke at the filter.other than a filter it might be called a capacitor.i can not locate this part.there are plenty of capacitors that look similar but I don’t know how to tell if they are similar. Thank you in advance.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Any alternator rebuild shop should have or be able to source that part for you. If not, I assure you Mitsubishi did not make it, so take it to any electrical/electronics supply house (not) Home Depot or their kind, and they will sell you just what you need. It may be a different size or shape, but it's value will be correct.

Feb 5, 2009
Gloucester 20 Kanawha River, Winfield, WV
If the wire goes to the battery connection on the alternator it's almost certainly a radio noise suppression capacitor. The other connection is typically from the metal shell of the cap through it's mounting bracket to a grounded metal part of the alternator, and that's where it shunts high frequency noise to ground. There may be a value in microfarads (µF) on it somewhere, but it's not critical, and any generic noise cap from an auto parts store should serve as a suitable replacement. Alternately you could leave it disconnected and if you're not getting alternator whine in your radio or other electronics, don't worry about it. Most modern electronic devices have built-in noise suppression anyway. Get rid of the dangling wire if you haven't already.

Oct 22, 2006
O DAY 27 LE philadelphia pa
Joe, I think you are right. I thought it might have something to do with radio interference.i think I will get the cheapest one of a similar design. Thanks