Where do I find the hull number on a C. 22?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Steve

Hi...I just bought a Columbia 22...the only official marking I can find is a shield on the side just below the deck. Where can I find my hull no.? Can I translate that hull no. into which keel, etc. I have???

Dec 13, 2004
Columbia 22 Beloeil (Montréal) CAN
Hull number

Well, I will give you the same answer as the previous posts... I'm going to get my sailboat at home t'ill mid may, I'll take a look at her, because I must also know where the number his!!! Regards, Sebastien

Dec 13, 2004
Columbia 22 Beloeil (Montréal) CAN
Hull number

I just copy what it is said on the Columbia site: Until 1972 there were no federal or state regulations that I am aware of that governed hull numbers. Manufacturers were free to number hulls as they saw fit - if they numbered them at all. Early Columbias have their hull numbers located in two places. On the small models the rudder shaft passes through a casting on the cockpit sole. There is a small relief cast into this part and the hull number is often stamped in it. All models had a 2" x 3" blue, brass plate with the model, serial number (hull number), and engine number (inboards only) stamped in. This plate is usually mounted on the kick panel between the cabin sole and vee-berth or somewhere in the head. Don't forget that the hull number was usually on the original main sail. The plate on the left is from my '65 Columbia 40. It's hard to see in the picture but the logo below the engine number is for Glass Marine Industries. The plate on the right is from a Challenger built in '63. Interestingly it has the Columbia logo even though it's older. I think my boat was built in the Portsmouth, VA plant and this Challenger in the Costa Mesa, CA plant. The plate in the lower right is for a Columbia 10.7 built by Hughes. Columbia also stamped the hull number into a cast plate that is attached to the cockpit sole by the rudder post. This is an example of one of at least two styles. It came from Challenger #325. You can see the number stamped in the oval at the lower part of the plate. The other style had depressions where the number could be stamped. Also of note is Columbia's early model numbering scheme. During the mid-sixties Columbia made three 24 ft models concurrently: the C 24, the Contender, and the Challenger. They also made two 29 foot models concurrently: the C 29 and the Defender. To differentiate among the 24s and the 29s, Columbia used the following model numbers: C 20 Challenger C 23 Contender C 24 Columbia 24 C 28 Columbia 28 C 28 Defender C 29 Columbia 29 C 32 Sabre ?? 5.5 ?? Constellation Nov.1, 1972 to July 31, 1984 The Safe Boating Act (of '68? '71?) standardized Hull Identification Numbers (HIN) and required all manufacturers to afix them permanently to each boat. The number must be at least 1/4" high and affixed to the starboard side of the transom within two inches of the top. On double-enders or boats where it is impractical to attach the number to the transom, the number is attached to the starboard side of the hull within one foot of the stern and within two inches of the top of the hull. A second copy of the number is to be affixed to the boat, presumeably inside the hull. I was always under the impression that the hull number was molded into hull, but evidently at some point Columbia was attaching a tag to the transom. According to one owner: "Serial # of my (1977) 8.3 is...Engraved on a plastic plate held with screws to upper starboard transom..." The number is 12 characters in length and conforms to one of the two following patterns: ABC 12345 1172 or ABC 12345 M72D In both cases, ABC is a three letter combination assigned to the manufacturer. Columbia's designation is CLY. Sailcrafter, the kit versions of the Columbia models is SLC. This is the manufacturer's identification code (MIC). The next group of five characters is a number used by the manufacturer to identify a specific hull. I have seen two cases used by Columbia. The first is in the pattern CNNNN where C is a letter and NNNN is four digits. The second pattern I have seen is NNNNN. Columbia seems to have started numbering hulls for each model at 001 and continued in sequence throughout that model's production run. The examples that I have seen lead me to believe that the last three digits in this middle part of the number are the actual number of the hull. In other words, if the HIN starts CLYnn123... then this is the 123rd hull built of this model. Starting in the mid-70s Columbia began adding in the last digit of the year so that the HIN starting CLYn8123... would have been built in '78 and is the 123rd hull built of that model. Columbia made more than 999 copies of only a few models. I think that in some cases the first two characters, CN or NN, distinguished one model from another. This last is only supposition on my part. The final portion of the number is where the formats differ. Not only do they differ, but the last four characters designate the year and month of manufacture or model year designation. Thus a 1978 model manufactured in late 1997 could have a 1998 year displayed. I don't know if Columbia opted for date made or model year and I think either format could be used for either designation. The keys to this portion of the number are: 1172. The month and year, thus 1172 = Nov. 1972. M72D. M does not seem to have any significance. 72 = the year and D = the month. The months are expressed Aug = A, Sep = B, ...L = July. The example is Nov. 1972.

Status
Not open for further replies.