Where can I find?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 9, 2010
Catalina 30' Seabrook, Texas
Good morning all. I am learning this site and have realized that any question I could ask has already been discussed, just look it up. A great resource for information, but I have a question I did not see discussed. I have a 1984 Catalina 30 std, rig. I have noticed on many pictures of others boats that the have a u-shaped settie on the port side and mine is l-shaped. Was that standard on certain models? Do you think I could find that piece and add it to mine? Where might I look? Thanks again

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
John, yes there are gazillion posts on this site, and you could look it up, but many of us try to answer questions with links to reference sources instead of just saying: go look it up.

The C30 was made either with options or the factory changed the layout. Same with the C36. Because the underside of the saloon seats are fiberglass, it's not a simple add on, unless you do it with carpentry. You'd have to change the table, too, 'cuz as I recall the U shaped had a table that drops on a piston, rather from the bulkhead.

The C30 Association website may also be able to answer this question, too. I'm sure you're aware of the brochures on their site. www.catalina30.com

Welcome to the site.

Jan 22, 2008
Fed up w/ personal attacks I'm done with SBO
I made the change you're considering on my 77 C-30 and Stu, as usual, is right. I didn't find it particularly complicated but it requires some carpentry skills, additional upholstery and a new table. In my case there was no fiberglass work and I gained a battery compartment capable of housing 2 group 27 batteries low and centered in the boat.

edit:
I should also add that I gained a hidden wiring path for all the mast electrics, radar included. Those wires are visible above the batteries.

Attachments

Jul 25, 2009
Catalina 1989 C30 Mk II Herrington Harbour South, MD
In my case there was no fiberglass work and I gained a battery compartment capable of housing 2 group 27 batteries low and centered in the boat.
Looks great! I've already got my other bank under the starboard settee and in the starboard locker, your location might be a good place for me to put an A/C! (-:

Feb 26, 2004
Also occurs to me that you will also end up needing new cushions, too. Very nice work there!

Jan 22, 2008
Also occurs to me that you will also end up needing new cushions, too. Very nice work there!
Thanks Stu.

I've attached a picture of the dinette when I bought the boat to explain why I was replacing all the cushions anyway (doesn't come through in the pic but they smelled too). That made the layout modification easier.

There was originally a crude box in the same location but I replaced it trying to make the dinette look as factory original as possible. You might also notice the P.O. chopped out a portion of the port shelf to fit a battery charger, screwed down wires all over the place (I repaired 200 holes in the teak and another 200 in the interior fiberglass - not exaggerated, I actually counted them).

Yikes, I get tired looking at those original pics! What was I thinking?

Attachments

Feb 26, 2004
Neil, Yikes! I hear ya! We have the same "heater." I have tried it a few times and am quite disappointed by it's lack of operation in heating anything. It makes noise like a jet taking off, too. Mine's fueled by a pressurized kerosene tank under our V berth. Other than the fact that it looks "salty" and is out of the way on our boat, lI wouldn't lose any sleep over removing it permanently. There are a lot better heaters out there.

Jan 22, 2008
Stu,
No more heater for me, took it out the first week I had the boat. The only thing it was good for was eBay. It left me with a pretty good patch in the deck. When I want to warm up the cabin I bake something in the oven (oooh, coookies!).

Sorry for the hijack, John.

Apr 9, 2010
Catalina 30' Seabrook, Texas
Neil, Thanks for sharing your pic's. It's a beautiful boat. Where did you get the fiberglass base for the extension? john

Jan 22, 2008
Looks Can Be Deceiving

John,

It's not fiberglass! It's 2 pieces of 1/2" birch ply and an alder corner post I made on my table saw, glued, filled, sanded, primed and painted. It's screwed to the main bulkhead, port seat riser and cabin sole, plenty sturdy. The lid is 3/4" birch ply. As part of my refit I repainted the entire boat interior and installed the new seat/battery box prior to painting, all matches, smooth like Corvette!

The only downside is the seat back is vertical, just like the galley side. The optimum seat back angle should be about 10 degrees but attachment of the back cushion to the main bulkhead did not afford me that luxury. I suppose I could have made a wedge shaped cushion but too late now, what's done is done.

Edit: Here's a picture of the seat installed prior to painting.

Attachments

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2006
Catalina 36 MKII Buford, Ga.
Re: Looks Can Be Deceiving

Great work Neil ! Are you a member of the C-30 association? You should consider sharing that with them for a possible Mainsheet article/ project.

A couple questions...did you spray or roll and tip the insides? what paint do you use? and did the addition of the new section hinder your access to the bilge?

Thanks for sharing

Jan 22, 2008
Stephen,

To address your questions:

I don't think I'm a member of the C-30 Association, if I am, I'm not active. The reason I say it that way is I didn't know I was a member of this forum until a couple of years later. I guess posting my stats on the C-30 owners online list automatically registered me here.

The interior paint was sprayed with a gravity feed HVLP gun, scuba tank with a custom regulator (my fabrication) for the air source. The scuba tank allowed me to spray with the boat in the slip without drawing attention to myself, no noise. I should add that the texture on much of the interior fiberglass makes it virtually impossible to get a decent finish without spraying.

The paint I used was - are you ready for this - high gloss Rustoleum white. I feel it's a good, high solids oil based paint that can be bought anywhere for a reasonable price. It's durable, washable, has good adhesion and can be touched up easily.
Edit: There's a big difference between Rustoleum in the can and the aerosol Rustoleum. The aerosol variety is thinned beyond usefulness in my opinion.

The seat cabinet prevents a straight approach to only 1 keel bolt, the one on the port side of the forward pair. With a long extension I can get to it through the bottom of the cabinet. I do have to slide out the forward bilge cover sideways though.

If there's any interest we could do an article for the Association but you're the first one to mention such a thing, and thank you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.