Where are the sea cocks on my 1991 Hunter 28?

Apr 24, 2023
Hunter 28 Rochester, NY
I just bought a 1991 Hunter 28 and the only seacock I can find is at the starboard side of the stern. I think that might be used for the holding tank. I can't find any information on the location of seacocks on my boat. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
Is the boat in the water or on the hard? If the latter, you can walk around the jack stands to see where the through hulls are.

Welcome to the forums! :beer:

• Helpful
Apr 24, 2023
Hunter 28 Rochester, NY
Thank you. I found a diagram online so now I know where the seacocks are located. I'm trying to find out why the bilge fill slowly so I'm going to close all the seacocks and see if that resolves that issue. If it does, I will open them one-by-one to see which one is the problem. If closing the seacocks doesn't resolve the problem, then I need to find the other source of the leak. Could it be the water tank?

Apr 24, 2023
Hunter 28 Rochester, NY
Yes, I did. After I check the seacocks, I'll empty the water tank and see what that does.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Bilge water has several common sources..
  1. Condensation on the hull below the water line (is the air warm and the water cold?). You can take a piece of tissue and touch the hull sides below the water line and see if the tissue becomes damp.
  2. Rain. If you have any leaks in the deck hardware, the water can get trapped in the headliner and take a few days to find its way down to the bilge.
  3. Cracks in a hose (like what you are looking for now).
  4. Leaking water tanks. If the boat is in salt water and the bilge water is not salty (buy a salinity test kit -- don't taste it) then the leak is either rain, condensation or from a tank.
You said you only found one seacock. Do you know if it is for your bilge pump? You should also have one for the galley sink.

• Helpful
Apr 24, 2023
Hunter 28 Rochester, NY
Turns out the water is coming through the shaft seal. I tightened the clamps and the flow reduced but didn't stop. The boat has a dripless shaft seal. Is it normal for them to leak a bit?

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Turns out the water is coming through the shaft seal. I tightened the clamps and the flow reduced but didn't stop. The boat has a dripless shaft seal. Is it normal for them to leak a bit?
What type of shaft seal?
For clarity, as it’s name implies, it drips less, not no drip. Regardless, it shouldn’t drip while at rest. Don’t over-tighten the drip less flax seals.

Apr 24, 2023
Hunter 28 Rochester, NY
It looks like a PSS Dripless Shaft Seal. My understanding is that it shouldn't drip at all. And they don't exactly drip - it's more a slow seepage. When I tightened the clamps, the seepage slowed, but I was afraid that if I tightening them too much. Is there any danger if I tighten them as much as possible? Here's what it looks like.

Attachments