When were the best Hunters built?

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Russell Egge

The one that takes you where you want to go

Enough already. These boats simply represent differing sytles and designers, but in the end folks, they are all Hunters. I propose the best Hunter is the one that has your name on it and will take you where you want to go. Be that for a party at the dock or crusing around the world. (This is begining to sound like a thread off of CWBB, where is bernie when you need him)

A

Alex

But Tom..

You rigthfully see 2 different crowds , with separate needs and whishes for their boat ; but the .5 of late 80' and start 90' series are -to my opinion- more alike today Jeaneau , Catalina, Beneteau ,Bavaria, etc.in general design lines, meaning 'middle of the road' GRP production, still 'plastic toys' to real traditional cruiser,but fine for regular folks . Going further one more step to today (or 94' and on) design lines/rigs,new Hunters actually lost some of that 'middle of the road' crowd , not the hard core traditinalist,who never set foot on all above ones anyway.. why wouldn't Hunter design some line of boats ,at least on best selling sizes, that will thend these-really regular sailors- wishes as well ? Mixing some newer trend of big cockpit, efficiancy and quality control building processes, along with more conventional rig, cabins and subsystems layout, might prove a winner for all..

J

Jay Eaton

Needs

If the boat you're aboard fills your needs, it's the right boat. Oddly enough this thread passes through "what is it you want in your boat," which is the first question to be answered when looking for a boat. Also, oddly enough, we all have different needs which is why there are so many different boats; vive la difference! For me, my boat gets me from Friday to Monday, for now. I belong to the Northern Star HSA, which has been in being since 1982. We have grown from 25 boats to over 60. We have had members come and go and upgrade to larger boats. But interestingly enough, with the exception of one year, the most popular boat in the club remains the H34. I'll bet there are a lot of them out there.

L

Linda M

Haven't decided yet.

We have a 1979 Cherubini 30 which we have had since 94, and a 1984 H34 we purchased last fall. I must say I feel much safer on the 30, and I love the classic lines. She is a dream to sail and I could handle her alone. The 34 seems to be a bit more tender, but I do like the additional interior space. Notice I said like, not love. Safety is more important to me. Haven't decided yet which I will keep. If anyone with a 34 can give me some encourgament on this boat, it would be much appreciated. As for the new one's, I have to agree with the comment that if I wanted an arch, I'd buy a powerboat.

J

Jim Rice

John C., where are you when we need you most?

Cherubini's forever! PS--as we were catching the harbor tender off our mooring one night, a 10 year old boy on the tender spontaneously said "Cool boat!". Now THAT'S high praise ]:^)

R

Ron Hughes

Legends Rule! 40.5!

Though we have no interest in telling any of you what boat you should like, we would, however, like to explain why after much shopping, we made the 40.5 our choice. We previously owned a '95 Legend 35.5 (four years) and currently proudly sail and maintain a '94 40.5. We prefer the Legend series, as the design incorporates the largest number of features we find most desirable,ahead of any comperable brand, and even over the newest Hunters. The Legend series 40.5 has these advantages: Waterline=speed. A Tee shaped cockpit with seating that allows stretching out straight while leaning against the cabin house to relax in comfort. A perforated aluminum toe-rail for good footing/deck security that offers better looks, as well as providing a proper place to attach lines or blocks anywhere they are needed. More agressive non-skid decks than most other boats except non-Hunters with teak. An anchor roller set up for 2 separate anchors and rodes. A split anchor locker with space below decks for the windlass. A real removable inner forestay set-up for redundant rig security and keeping the center of effort low and balanced in a blow. A fractional rig with both swept-back spreaders for curving the mast, and a backstay that allows bending the upper portion of the mast(using an adjuster)which opens the leech of the main and permits a full hoist into higher winds before the need to reef arises(Let's see you change mast shape underway with a new B&R!). Factory designed space for a powered winch. Stand-up headroom in the aft cabin. Deep centerline galley sinks. A real chart-size(albeit folded)forward facing dedicated nav table. A good quality 'fridge and a real freezer. Enough water and fuel capacity aboard to do more than just harbor-hop or carry jerry jugs. When properly tuned and trimmed, the 40.5 will sail her fastest while remaining "on her feet". No need to excessively heel. With a Max-Prop, she can turn, back, and handle with the best of 'em. Her bulb-wing shoal keel allows us to sneak into some pretty skinny water, especially when following deep fin-keel boats! Because we think she's lovely to look at, for these several more concrete reasons, and for others that I'm sure I've neglected to mention, for us it's the 40.5!

S

Steve Cook

New Traditionalist

Having once owned a 1980 H27 and now a new H310, the new style Hunters have a lot more to offer for me and my family than the old style Hunters. I feel the new Hunters are state of the art with the latest in technology in every aspect. I feel that the new Hunters are the wave of the futurer and I see other boat mfg's following. Hunter, the New Traditionalist for the sailor of today and tomorrow!!! If you don't like my arch, that's fine! You don't have to. I think that most of the people who do not like the arch have never turly sailed a boat with the arch and end boom sheeting and a clean cockpit. I like it. Party boat? my H310 is a second home and I like the room down below. Performance, aside from a H35.5 (non-stock sails) on our lake, I can take any other Hunter out their. This thread seems to be pulling us all apart and against one another and that is not needed or wanted on this site!!! This is not "CWBB"!!!! and we don't have no Bernie's here thank you very much. Steve, a *New Traditionalist*

C

Claudio

Current models

I prefer bigger boats (43 and up). I have to accomodate kids and pets. The new Hunters are easily sailed and are very fast. They represent the best value for the buck so far. The arch? I think it is a great idea, as old as 2000 years! It keeps the cockpit safe and open plus is a great attachment for instruments, etc. I like to sail comfortably which is an aspect of safety. I only wish Hunter would make a 54 cruiser now!

L

Lawrence B.Leonard

The 35.5

If Hunter ever comes up with a better combination of handling ability and roominess below, then we should all go out and buy one(which would make Hunter very very happy). I've had my '90 35.5 for 3 years now. It has done nothing but impress me more each season. To windward the captain (my wife) can keep the boat zipping at 25-30 degrees off wind. If I do my sail trim job right, we keep heel to around 15 degrees or less. Leeward performance is good as well, not quite as good as windward, but we've surfed some rollers up to 8.5 knots of boat speed. That is a full knot above hull speed. At anchor the boat is a lovely place for up to 4 people to be comfortable. We've done 9 day sails with 4 of us and no one had any problems with room for food and gear. I believe 2 people could use the boat as a live aboard with some thought and some modifications for tools and personel tastes in comfort level ie: refrigeration, inverters, gen set,ect. We hope to do just that at some point along our life cruise. The 35.5 is the best! Hunter bashers beware!! I've reviewed the boat in the boat review forum, if you're looking to buy a 35.5. Fair winds and smooth sailing, Lawrence Leonard Elle & I '90 35.5

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Final results

Final results for the Quick Quiz ending 3/12/2000: The best Hunters were built from: 47% 1990-99 (211) 44% 1980-89 (195) 8% 1974-79 (37) Just for reference, and to document the obvious bias of this survey, the HOW owners directory contains these proportions of boats from those decades: 1990-99 44% 1980-89 47% 1974-79 9%

P

Paul Harmina

Safety

Having experienced and survived multiple knock downs during a tornado in my 1979 Hunter 30, I am more inclined to favor the older, heavier 1970's models. I have also been in heavy storms while on newer Hunters and did not feel the same confidence. Perhaps it is because I have the tall rig with the extra weight in the keel that I feel that way. I do not believe that the newer Hunters have the same stability. Give me a 1970's version any day of the week.

J

Jeff Isenhour

Make a song out ot it

If you can't be with the boat you love, then love the boat you're with.

D

Don Bodemann

The test of time

In 1973 Robert Seidelman and John Cherubini got together and designed the first Hunter. I believe the criteria was to build a 25 foot comfortable weekender that was quick and AFFORDABLE. Apparently they were successful. After the first (1974) model year, John took over the job of designing Hunters for the next 8 years. His designs have stood the test of time and are only now beginning to be truley recognized as "Good Old Boats" by the general boating community. My wife and I loved our 1980 H-27, mainly because we could afford it. I believe this is where Hunter has always shined. Hunter has always given the most boat for your buck. They have cut some corners along the way, like Gray port lights, sloppy joinery, sloppy glass work in out of site places, etc. As far as the new boats go, one look at the aft state room on the 450 Passage and my wife was in love, in fact whenever I lost tract of her at the Boat show, that's where I'd find her! Where is Hunter cutting corners these days? Will the new Hunters stand the test of time? I hope so, because that's when I'll be able to afford my wifes dream boat.

M

Mickey McHugh

40.5 Bias

It's wonderful that so many think the 37.5 is a great boat. So do I since I think of it as the smaller yet older cousin of the 40.5 which I bought new 2.5 years ago. Besides being larger with ALL that goes with that (50HP, more tankage and storage, 8.0 hull speed) plus the 40.5 has a forward head and center line sinks, it is basically the same as the 37.5 Even the used price is close. On HOW today, 37.5 prices are $100K for a 92-93 and $120K for a 94-96; 40.5 prices are $100K for a 93-94 and $140-150 for a 95-97 (A new 410 with comparable equipment is over $200K) With all the good things said about Hunter sailboats I'm glad I bought one of the classics for $154K fully loaded. She's a gem.

Status
Not open for further replies.