When to replace a forward hatch?

May 5, 2008
Oday 25 Washington DC
I have a 1984 O'day 28. My forward hatch was replace some time ago with a Bomar 18.5 X 18.5. one hinge broke off and the prior owner jury rigged a hinge that is not too effective. I see sunlight thru the corners when clamped down tight. The interior of the hatch frames has a number of cracks perhaps from over tightening. The weather sealing around the opening looks good but is not sealing out the rain. rain comes thru the cracks too. I'm inclined to ditch this hatch and get a replacement. I don't want to jump the gun if this relic can be salvaged. Any advice would be appreciated.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
If all you are worried about is rain, you could make a cloth (Sunbrella or similar) cover that should do the trick. But if you ever take her out of the slip, all it will take is one rude power boater to make a real mess of your interior.

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
I think your inclination has the right slant!

May 5, 2008
Oday 25 Washington DC
Thanks. So I measured the Bomar at 18.5X 18.5 and I see Vetus has a nice Altus model that is low profile and shows the same dimensions online. I searched the manufacturer's documentation on installing and watched a few youtube videos. It appears to be more challenging than I expected. Most talk about cutting the hole bigger then epoxing any exposure core and finally sealant application and hatch install. Mine should be much easier, would you agree? What sealant is recommended, the 5200 stuff?

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
5200 is pretty much a forever adhesive, NOT a sealant, no matter what is on the label. I wouldn't use 5200 on anything which might need repair or replacement, somewhere down the line.
There are a lot of good products out there like Life Caulk and of course the one that was specifically made for bedding items on a boat; bedding compound.

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
The new hatch may have slightly different dimensions, so the opening may have to be adjusted. If you cut the opening larger, you will expose the deck core. Optimally, you would want to ream out the deck core back 1/2 inch and fill it to the edge with thickened epoxy. This way, if water gets under the deck seal, it cannot touch wood. Additionally, you would want to properly "pot" any screw hole that penetrates the deck, so no water can touch wood through the screw hole.
You can look at MainSail's instructions on his forum.
Thanks,
Andrew

Dec 9, 2006
Oday 22 Hickory, NC
You should really get with Rudy at D&R Marine. He will have the original hatch! May be a bit pricy, but will be an exact fit!