when to reef

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DJ Answine

AT what point do most of you begin to reef down your C22.Do you use surface conditions,wind speed,boat handling,etc? What wind speed prompts you to consider reefing down? thanks DJ

T

Trevor

Comfort level

DJ - The old saying that it's time to reef when you start considering it holds true in most cases. I find it's easier to shake a reef out if the wind is lighter than expected rather than start the reefing process after the wind has become stronger than you are comfortable with. I don't have any experience sailing the Cat 22, but flat is fast, so if you are heeling way over and have a lot of weather helm, you'll likely see higher speeds with a reef in place. Best, Trevor

T

tomD

they're slightly oversailed

Sail plans used to be a full set when in trade winds, or 18-20 knots. Below that you added a geoa and above that you begain reducing sail. But with a SA/D of 142 the C-22 should be reefed before 18 knots of wind unless you have a good crew and/or racing. I have sailed to the rail with a 3 man crew in a race in 25 knots, spilling air on the puffs, and nearly broaching twice, in 25 knots--we left out the 110 and full main on the windward leg to use it on the beam reach leg and downwind, so we would not have to spend time reefing. Can't say if we gained anything, we luffed alot. It was hard on the canvas and rigging too. Depending on point of sail, 15-16 knots (measured on a Kestrel anemometer, not guessed at) and the boat is heeled hard enough to not gain any speed. A reef in the main at 15 knots is not a bad idea, have been in 30 knots with 32 ft2 jib and one reef and it was under control. Ocean sailing makes it easier to know when to reef: using the Beaufort scale, when you are beginning to see regular whitecaps, reef. All whitecaps is too late. But on a lake, esp. mountain lakes, squally winds can hit you very fast and the waves catch up after the fact. C-22's are quite forgiving but seem to like to sail flat

D

Dick of Sylvan

Reefing C22

I agree with Tom and Trevor in all that they said about reefing. Especially best to reef early, and it is a lot easier to remove reef in a falling wind than it is to reef in a rising one. On Fremont Lake where I sail in the summer, most of our strong winds are associated with thunderstorms which often pop over the ridge giving little warning. So practicing reefing with the crew ahead of when it is needed is real important. Also, reefing depends a lot on the crew and skipper's tolerance to heeling. Some folks eyes get real large real quick, while other folks like the thrill of hiking out, and watching water on the other gunnel. At the tiller, I like to keep the sails trimmed and shaped and sized so that I maintain control and the rigging doesn't shake too much. When the hull goes way over, the rudder is a long ways from vertical which means it pushes up and down as much as laterally when you move the tiller, and that's not good for either speed or control. Dick

D

Dan

As soon as someone says

"Do you think we need a reef?", we reef on our boat. It's always easier to shake it out.

F

Frank Taylor

Time to Reef

Here's my rule-of-thumb: If I find myself wondering if its time to reef - its time to reef! This is related to how experienced you are and how comfortable you feel when the wind is up and the boat has a lot of heel. When I was less experienced, I reefed a lot sooner. I do have another rule when I'm sailing single handed, if there are whitecaps I reef before I even leave the slip. Its easier to take out a reef than to put one in under pressure, especially when you're alone. Its also helpful to see what other similar boats are doing, if possible.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Better Safe than...

Frank wrote: "When I was less experienced, I reefed a lot sooner." I had the opposite experience: When I was less experienced, I reefed a lot LATER than I should. Sooner, not later. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.