When to change down to a smaller (furling) headsail?

Oct 19, 2019
Albin Vega 27 Limerick
I have a 2 year old furling headsail (foam luff, slightly overlapping the mast).I also have a heavy cloth small jib equipped with slides that can be deployed on the foil instead of the big sail.With a prefeeder re-hoisting the big genoa isnt too much of a chore but it still is a chore.What average forecast wind speeds would prompt you to drop the big furler & host a small (#3 say) furling jib instead?John V1447 Breakaway

Feb 12, 2008
I think there are recommended wind ranges for various range sails in the Manual.In general, we change sails ahead of time for the expected or trending wind range (ie if black clouds are heading our way, we anticipate stronger winds; if winds have been decreasing, we go with a larger sail).You probably know that various factors affect sail choice and performance:A newer or flatter cut sail can be used in a higher wind range than a blown out or fuller sail.Choice of sail size depends on what point of sail you are sailing: smaller for beating, larger for reaching and running.The skill of the sailor in depowering the sail plan affects the usable wind range of a sail, as does the stoutness of the sail construction.A heavier sea state or current could warrant relatively larger sails for more power.Lots of movable ballast (crew) can allow for larger sail plans.The number of competent crew affects choice.The choice of sail plan affects speed and comfort. If you are in a hurry (racing) you will probably opt for sails at the top of the wind range, if you are out for a pleasure cruise, smaller sails may be more comfortable in stronger winds.The condition of the boat and rigging may determine sail size, as does the repair budget.Most sail makers suggest a furling limit of something like 20% before you start losing too much efficiency.If the weather is forecast to get more intense, it may be better to just go to the smaller sail rather than do a partial furl, and then unfurl and do a sail change.On our little lightweight racing boat, we find that with a light crew, we are better off with the jib, rather than the 155% genoa in winds above much more than 14 knots. We point higher, heel less, make less leeway with the jib and can use the spinnaker for reaching and running. The smaller sails are also much, much easier and faster to tack. We don't have reefs in the main, so above 20 knots we have to flatten the main and work the traveler and mainsheet in gusts to keep the boat as flat as possible. We run the a twist in the genoa to depower it and also dump it in gusts. Some days it is pretty much constant trimming on relatively highly loaded lines, but if we didn't have a chance to do a sail change, it gets us by. My gal would quit sailing with me if we did that all the time.Somewhere on Youtube is a video of some Albin Vega racers (somewhere in Scandanavia?) on strong winds with lots of sail up, and lot keel showing, probably not the best combo for a pleasant day sail with the skittish wife. Every boat and sailor will be a little different on their choices.-Tim G

Oct 19, 2019
Albin Vega 27 Limerick
Thanks Tim.
I was out today in 25 knots and gusty conditions.
I changed down to my small jib before heading out
and had a very pleasant sail with 2 reefs in the main and full
(small) jib.
My problem is that I am lazy - it does take a few
minutes to swap furling headsails even tied up and would be a
pita while under way.
John V1447 Breakaway

On 26/10/2018 22:54, Tim Klynn
tim_klynn@... [AlbinVega] wrote: