When to Cast Off

Tyemac

Jul 2, 2016
Hunter Vision32 2 Barrochois
When is the best time to head south to the Bahamas from Nova Scotia. We have a 32’ Hunter Vision and have always wanted to sail her down for our winter months.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
When is the best time to head south to the Bahamas from Nova Scotia. We have a 32’ Hunter Vision and have always wanted to sail her down for our winter months.
Some people say early November. Take a look at Kretchmer’s latest book, Sailing to the Edge of Time. This is an up-to-date book by someone actually doing some of what we discuss here. But, he’s doing it all on a Kaufman 47; which is a Swan-quality sailboat, cutter rigged. He writes about sailing in and out of Nova Scotia, etc.

Last edited:

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
Are you sailing direct non-stop? If so, I'd look for a window that minimizes the possibility of "winter" nor'easters AND the late season hurricanes. Halifax to Nassau is about 1350 nm, or 7 days at 200 nm per day. If you trust forecasts out to about 3 days, there would be places to run to in the middle of the trip if something ugly popped up.

If the ICW is involved, I'd be leaving in the next 4 weeks, for two reasons. It gets cold early in the year in a lot of places between Nova Scotia and Norfolk, and certain areas along the way are worth spending time in as opposed to blowing through (no pun intended).

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Also, FWIW, your insurance company might have something to say about seasonal "coverage", heading toward, or into, the topics/subtropics b/f the official end of the Atlantic hurricane season.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
If the ICW is involved, I'd be leaving in the next 4 weeks, for two reasons. It gets cold early in the year in a lot of places between Nova Scotia and Norfolk, and certain areas along the way are worth spending time in as opposed to blowing through (no pun intended).
I was going to “yesterday”.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Also, FWIW, your insurance company may have something to say about seasonal "coverage", heading toward, or into, the topics/subtropics b/f the official end of the Atlantic hurricane season.
:plus:

Tyemac

Jul 2, 2016
Hunter Vision32 2 Barrochois
Are you sailing direct non-stop?

No we are planning on stopping at random ports along the way. This is something we wanted to do for a number of years and it’s time to get things rolling.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Friends did a version of this trip--Penobscot Bay to Nassau--using the ICW for parts of it and making stops. Leaving, I believe, toward the very end of August. They did report some cold weather in the mid-Atlantic areas by the time they passed through 'em. They also reported some difficulty getting mooring cans when and where they wanted them, etc.

Last edited:
May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Also, FWIW, your insurance company might have something to say about seasonal "coverage", heading toward, or into, the topics/subtropics b/f the official end of the Atlantic hurricane season.
The standard insurance requirement is that you don't go south of Norfolk until November 1st. From what I've heard that makes October the usual time to transit the Chesapeake, preparing to leave Norfolk in early November. Work backwards from there to figure out when you'd like to leave Nova Scotia to arrive in the Chesapeake in late September.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
The standard insurance requirement is that you don't go south of Norfolk until November 1st. From what I've heard that makes October the usual time to transit the Chesapeake, preparing to leave Norfolk in early November. Work backwards from there to figure out when you'd like to leave Nova Scotia to arrive in the Chesapeake in late September.
November 1st being the end of hurricane season. Lots of folks will catch the Annapolis boat show in October 11-14 then head south.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I'd leave ASAP as you are going to take a long time if you use the ACICW, which I would advise in all but the nicest weather. There is no way you are going to make 200 miles per day on a
32 foot boat, especially considering if you are sailing offshore you'll most likely be bucking the Gulfstream.
In the ACICW there are plenty of nice places to explore, such as Beaufort, NC, Charleston, SC, and old town St Augustine and the fort there, some of my favorites. But you will have lots of current against you and with you at some of the inlets which will make timing a bit more difficult, so have multiple stops planned in case you can't make the one you'd planned on before dark. I've done the ditch in the dark on a 73 footer and I wouldn't advise it on any boat unless you are carrying lots of Rolaids, lol.
You should keep a good watch on the weather and talk to locals about what you should do should a storm be approaching, however, I'd suggest you have the boat hauled and secured for a hurricane and go find a good, strong hotel. "Hurricane holes" are a fallacy, so don't get talked into using one or your boat will most likely be damaged by another boat dragging, even if your anchor tackle holds.
Good luck and have a fun trip. I've sailed the world but still find the ACICW one of the most fun and interesting trips to do. Don't hand feed the gators when you get south. lol

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Sounds like sage advice @capta.
You do now sail the Caribbean. :cool:

And there are Pirates of the Caribbean. And Pirates have hooks in the place of hands.o_O

And Captain Hook lost his hand to a gator... :poke:

And your a Captain....:yikes:

I think you may have just outed your self.....:laugh:

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Sounds like sage advice @capta.
You do now sail the Caribbean. :cool:

And there are Pirates of the Caribbean. And Pirates have hooks in the place of hands.o_O

And Captain Hook lost his hand to a gator... :poke:

And your a Captain....:yikes:

I think you may have just outed your self.....:laugh:
OK, the jig is up! I be found out! Arg. Where be the grog and the winches (I'm happily married so it's no wenches for me).

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Wasn’t it you that shared a photo of a lovely lady, head and shoulders down in the lazarett repairing an engine a couple of yeas ago? She for sure was no wench...

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Wasn’t it you that shared a photo of a lovely lady, head and shoulders down in the lazarett repairing an engine a couple of yeas ago? She for sure was no wench...
I, indeed I did. Took her off a gallion full of treasure, but me scurvy mates made off with the gold, leaving me with the real treasure!

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
I have left Maine after Labor Day twice and hopped on down to Annapolis for the sail show in early Oct. Four other times leaving from Newport RI via Long Isl Sound just after Labor Day to make Annapolis for the show. After the show, I headed south. Go too soon and you risk having to hide from hurricanes. Go too late and you'll freeze your @ss. I would shoot for Chesapeake by early Oct. The Annapolis sail show is a big attraction for cruisers. If you do go there, you'll have plenty of company going south. If you want to get a jump, leave there before the show.
3 to 4 days down to Norfolk. 3 to 4 days to Beaufort NC on the inside. I would not bother trying to round Hatteras for a number of reasons. From Beaufort, you can go outside as far as you want and duck into ports along the way or take the ditch; whichever works at the time.