When does age become a decision variable?

Les

May 8, 2004
Hunter 27 Bellingham, WA
Geez, what a bunch of youngsters giving you advice, Ed. The young always know the answers. Now, I'm eighty one and I'm still looking for the questions. Let's see now. I did decide to go with a smaller boat from a H380 to a 2009 H27. Easier to handle around the docks, little bit easier to back into the slip, and easier to sail. I did rig this boat for me and my age.

My wife doesn't come with me as much these days so I rig the boat to single hand. I knew I would be mostly day sailing so I didn't need a lot of cruising gear. I did want a furnace as I get cold more easily these days....and use it year around. I wanted an easy to use marine head as that seems to be the way of the old. And I did things to make my sailing comfortable like cockpit cushions, auto pilot, BIG digitals so I can read them, simple stove to heat water for coffee or tea. And a good sound system so I can enjoy my music when below.

I also added the Speedseal for my water pump, a good battery monitor (see Mainsail on this web) and a good waste tank monitor. AT my age I don't see as well hence I also have AGM batteries.

But probably the best thing for an old guy is my WinchRite....a portable power adapted for my furling sails bringing them in and out. What a device! Couldn't sail without it.

What I would really like is to have Siri on board so I could tell her to start the engine, check direction, call home and tell them I'm doing okay. I have Siri in my car (bluetooth) and I love it. Now I want it on my boat. Wouldn't that be a gas sitting under the dodger and say, "Siri, change direction to port ten degrees," to miss a crab pot. I can't wait.

As an academic, I happen to believe that having a boat extends some lives as they have some major thoughts in their heads, not just the nightly news. Perhaps some daydreams? Even a future cruise that you know darn well you're not going to make--but still it is nice to think of it. For me I dream of going to Princess Louisa one more time. Doubtful but at least deamable.

I wish you well my friend. Take care.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Great response, Les. It prompted me to post this picture again. A neighbor at the lake who is in his 90s created this god-awful creation. God-awful to the rest of us but a work of art to him. It suits him just fine. He's a Georgia Tech grad and is still engineering stuff. I say more power to him.

Attachments

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
Lots of inspiration from you guys. Thanks, I won't give up!

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
I don't know about you guys but I'm still 25, until I look at the old guy in the mirror. Who is that old fart?

braol

Apr 16, 2014
Hunter 27 Rebel 16 Great Lakes Naval Base, IL
I would think that getting in and out of, say, a dinghy or a trailered daysailor (and launching it every time) would be a lot harder/dangerous than boarding the 37C and heading out. Considering the proximity to Coast Guard facilities on the Great Lakes, you are also within earshot of help if anything goes awry.
Looking at all the prior posts, perhaps one could rig 2:1 or 3:1 purchase on the hailyards to make it easier on tired bones and musclles (routing them all to the cockpit as well).

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 30_74-83 Cincinnati OH
Sitting here at 65 years of age, I have been thinking about that subject a lot lately. Whether to keep the current boat on Lake Eire where it has been for the last 25 years or move to a small trailerable boat to explore the lakes and rivers in the midwest. For the present we have decided to continue to sail in the area we love for a long as we can. However we are lucky in one respect, my youngest son who was raised on the boat has told me he wants the boat when we are finished sailing. So keeping the boat up for him makes some of the decisions on maintenance issues much easier.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37 C sloop Punta Gorda FL
Seems to me that one's age eventually becomes a serious consideration when making boating decisions. Or should one sail on, undertake big boat projects, buy a new boat or maybe two old ones, not leave the big lake for a smaller one, and not go out the canal again where you have to dismast a 400 pound keel-stepped stick? Especially those of us with older boats where it seems the work is never done have to consider our age. At age 72 I am lucky to be healthy and relatively strong. But every time I start thinking boat projects like a new dodger, a new salon sole, or worse like a complete hull painting, I wonder if the effort and cost is warranted. Or should I sell my H37C, buy a newer smaller boat and move to the much closer lake where I still enjoy my Highlander? I remember some years ago when a fellow over 70 bought a new Hunter 30. I really admired that attitude. Ten years later he is still sailing that boat. But that is certainly the unusual case. We should all be so fortunate. What do you think?
Mary and I are moving back aboard. Sold our house. Will have more time for projects. HaHaHa.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 27_75-84 Wilmington, NC
Ed/Commenters, great question and discussion. At 68 3/4 I've been facing the issue. At this point I plan on looking at the facts - am I using the boat? - if not, time to sell. My boat needs to be used. It would be a crime if it just sat and was left to deteriorate.
I bought my boat 12 years ago. The PO had passed away 4-5 years earlier and the boat was a mess! Water in fuel, mold damaged cushions, and the smell!! Won't let that happen again. Also don't want to leave family with burden of disposing of 30+ year old boat.

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
if you are realizing a need to downsize, then the need is there no matter if the desire to downsize is or not.
if you "need" to do it so you can maintain your boating lifestyle, then it doesnt matter what anyone else thinks, but only whether you want to continue "boating", or cash it in and buy a stamp collection or some other hobby that takes less energy....

as long as you have the spirit and the energy/ability to keep driving forward, then keep doing it...
i personally dont see any reason to spend any time "planning" out how we are going to continue to play in our old age. when you can no longer keep doing what your doing, then is the time to change it...and as long as we have the ability to continue our boating lifestyles, there will always be time to change it.
it may be years before there is a need to make any change, and yet fate could prevent old age from reaching us in a way that it makes not a bit of difference afterwards, and to worry about when, goes against everything we are striving for.

I can only suggest that you should continue to live your dream as you want to and when the time is right to get a boat that is a bit less work, you will know it, but to downsize solely on the reasoning that someday you might need to change your ways, is just an excuse to get a new boat sooner rather than later... and you should never need an "old age" excuse to do that:D:D:D....

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
I do not feel that age is the controlling factor. What kind of shape are you in, how much do you exercise, eating properly, and what physical capabilities have you retained? Some people are old in the sense that they can't do near as much as someone much older than they. Physical size and muscle mass retention is also a factor in this. Your mental capability coupled with your desires and enthusiasm are very important. We are what we want to be!
I have had a great summer/fall on the sea! Chief

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
Well Stu, I do agree that the more we stay active the better our odds are of living many more years! Chief

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
The more I sail the younger I get! :)
if we could exclude the actual "time" factor from aging, this could be so true... the more time I spend on the boat, the younger I feel, and the more vitality i exhibit. not only do I notice it, but so do others...
the more I get of it, the more I want....
the passion, desire and ability I have to wriggle my way towards longer times spent on the boat as time goes on, makes for a very improved difference in my mental and physical health.

so even though time would dictate that we actually arent getting younger, there really isnt a better way to describe the physical differences it causes in us, than to agree with Stu and say, "The more I sail the younger I get!" :D

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
Shortly after I started this thread my years of nagging back pain, never serious, took a turn. Now I am dealing with sciatica where I can barely walk in the morning. It is not debilitating, I did a moderate five mile hike yesterday and will lead the same one tomorrow. But there it is, another reminder.

But with exercise and the right stretching I am told it will become just another annoyance. Less than a week ago I had my two youngest grandsons on the boat and was reminded how much I would miss being out there. Going back up to finally do something about the cabin eyebrow. I have decided to quit messing with wood and PlasTeak. I am going to paint it on.

Attachments

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
Our thoughts...

The Admiral and I are 69, and still well able to handle our '77 h27, and the 30 to 37 footers we charter.

We have thought about how to extend our sailing years when we are less able. Our ideas include:

- In-mast furling to keep us in the cockpit.
- Power winches.
- easier access to the boat and water through a sugar scoop stern.
- Hiring crew.
- Paying for others to do maintenance (we have always been willing to do this for expertise, and to save time and travel.)
- Modifying cruising plans to reduce risk.
- installing a powered anchor windlass.

However we are very comfortable in our current good old boat, and plan to increase our time on her when the Admiral retires.

Jul 21, 2013
Searching for 1st sailing boat 27-28, 34-36 Channel Islands, Marina Del Rey
Isn't there any '80s song; boogie on until you can't boogie no more?

Dec 3, 2013
HUNTER 29.5 PORT CHARLOTTE FL
Shortly after I started this thread my years of nagging back pain, never serious, took a turn. Now I am dealing with sciatica where I can barely walk in the morning. It is not debilitating, I did a moderate five mile hike yesterday and will lead the same one tomorrow. But there it is, another reminder.

But with exercise and the right stretching I am told it will become just another annoyance. Less than a week ago I had my two youngest grandsons on the boat and was reminded how much I would miss being out there. Going back up to finally do something about the cabin eyebrow. I have decided to quit messing with wood and PlasTeak. I am going to paint it on.
A good Chiropractor who practices old-fashioned spinal adjustment and an inversion table keep me upright! :dance: I highly recommend both!