When does a screw become a bolt?

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
There are manually-powered drills common in wood-working shops. I doubt they are or were used to drive-in screws.
Brace and bit style were. My grandfather was a cabinet maker and I have his old bits for both usage.
In fact, now that I think about it.. the word "bit" is used for both.

But that brings bits for a horse into play. :biggrin:

Tldr: English is horrible

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Brace and bit style were. My grandfather was a cabinet maker and I have his old bits for both usage.

I’m always learning something new in this forum!:)

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay

I dunno. If a bit generally is something (piece of metal) one inserts into a chuck, why can it not also be something (a different piece of metal) inserted into a horse’s mouth? You’ve left out some information. That is, a “drill bit” versus a “bridle bit.” Seems OK English usage to me.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
For years I wondered how sailors came to adopt the word “tack,” as in sailing on starboard tack versus sailing on port tack. Why not say “sailing wind a-starboard”, or “sailing wind a-port” or “sailing wind a-stern?” Certainly, even a novice could follow the logic there if knowing starboard from port.

Phrases evolve. Sailors once said “sailing on THE starboard tack” or “… on THE port tack.” The tack of a sail is that “corner” where a sail is attached to the deck. For the old square riggers to sail to weather the sails, on their yards, had to be rotated far leeward to present sail area to wind fwd of the beam; essentially creating a luff at the sail’s leading edge before the wind. To tension up that “luff” the weather cringle of the sail, or the yard arm, was fastened to the deck to keep the yard down. That is, they “tacked” the sail to the deck. Thus, sailing to weather with “wind a-starboard” was to sail “on the starboard tack.”

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
For years I wondered how sailors came to adopt the word “tack,” as in sailing on starboard tack versus sailing on port tack. Why not say “sailing wind a-starboard”, or “sailing wind a-port” or “sailing wind a-stern?” Certainly, even a novice could follow the logic there if knowing starboard from port.

Phrases evolve. Sailors once said “sailing on THE starboard tack” or “… on THE port tack.” The tack of a sail is that “corner” where a sail is attached to the deck. For the old square riggers to sail to weather the sails, on their yards, had to be rotated far leeward to present sail area to wind fwd of the beam; essentially creating a luff at the sail’s leading edge before the wind. To tension up that “luff” the weather cringle of the sail, or the yard arm, was fastened to the deck to keep the yard down. That is, they “tacked” the sail to the deck. Thus, sailing to weather with “wind a-starboard” was to sail “on the starboard tack.”
Very cool... thnx

So why do we call it tacking when we zig-zag into the wind? And what are we coming to when we "come about"? And while I'm on this jag, why "hard-a-lee":facepalm::biggrin:

I assume "hard-a-lee" comes from the fact that you throw the tiller to the leeward side of the boat when you tack into the wind but... I just sussed that so.... I don't KNOW that is correct.

I know where the history of gun'l, starbord and port comes from but some of these others are still vague to me.

Jan 19, 2010
Alright then... next question... are these screw drivers or wrenches.:biggrin:

1683832770392.png
1683832920942.png

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Very cool... thnx

So why do we call it tacking when we zig-zag into the wind? And what are we coming to when we "come about"? And while I'm on this jag, why "hard-a-lee":facepalm::biggrin:

I assume "hard-a-lee" comes from the fact that you throw the tiller to the leeward side of the boat when you tack into the wind but... I just sussed that so.... I don't KNOW that is correct.

I know where the history of gun'l, starbord and port comes from but some of these others are still vague to me.
That phrase should read "helm to lee" or "helm a-lee). "Ready about!" "Helm to lee. "Hard" is not a part of a boat. What's a hard? What does it look like? Where is it? How do you send it anywhere? You're "tacking" when you are changing your sailing from one tack to the other which in the old days meant physically changing the position of where a sail is tacked from one side of the boat to the other. In which case you would be changing the tack. (Kind of like a spinnaker. On the weather side of the boat the line leading to the spinnaker & pole is the guy. On the lee side the line that runs to spinnaker is the sheet. The cringle on the weather side of the spinnaker would be its tack; on the lee side its clew. Then vice-versa. However, square-riggers rarely "tacked" as we do today--bow through the eye of the wind. They "weared (or wore) ship", which was to bring the stern through the eye of the wind, and then come up to weather on the new tack.

With the Marconi sails the tack of the sail (to the deck) does not change position when the boat passes through the eye of the wind. Nevertheless, the tack of the sail is still the item holding the sail to the deck.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2021
Hunter 280 White House Cove Marina
I Googled this and… oh boy…it’s not a new question. The short answer is that a bolt requires a nut to secure it and a screw does not.
My father became a tool and die maker when he got out of the army after the Korea conflict.

That is what he taught me

Jan 4, 2023
Hunter 23 Pymatuning
Sailors seem to be folk that get hung up on using the correct terms. i.e., lines, sheets, halyard, rode, block etc. So here is one more example,… and if I’m being honest, this post has no actual value… it is just an exercise in persnickering.

There was a recent post where someone asked about finding a particular "machine screw" long enough to through fasten with a nut.

Although it is common to use screw and bolt interchangeably, and in some cases the more common phrase is incorrect (i.e., lag bolt), a threaded rod that protrudes through the fastened materials and requires a nut to hold, is a bolt. Bolts often use a washer behind the nut… and a threaded rod that relies on the friction between the threads and the matted material to hold, is a screw.

In some cases, it is truly ambiguous. For example, it was common for Hunter to embed aluminum plates in the fiberglass of the hull and deck and then tap and dye those when machine “screws” were passed into them. The stanchion posts and deck organizers on my Hunter 26’ were secured this way. The aluminum plate served as an internal “nut” but technically since the bolt did not pass through the material and the deck hardware was secured by friction between the threads of the rod and the deck material, those fasteners were screws.

My coffee is getting cold so I think I should stop...:facepalm:
Looking to reset the stanchions on a Hunter 23 and can't see a nut holding them inside. Would the post be attached the way you described with an internal "nut" glassed into the deck? I haven't taken apart yet since I was not clear on how to reattach. Thanks.

Attachments

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
Sailors seem to be folk that get hung up on using the correct terms. if I’m being honest, this post has no actual value… it is just an exercise in persnickering. . . . For example, it was common for Hunter to embed aluminum plates in the fiberglass of the hull and deck and then tap and dye those when machine “screws” were passed into them.
If we're going to be persnickety, what color was the dye they used?
:)

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
There are manually-powered drills common in wood-working shops but I doubt they are or were used to drive-in screws.
Hi Ray. In my early days of wood working, I used my Dad's Yankee spiral driver that he used for drilling holes and setting screws. I inherited it after he passed away and continued to use it until electric drivers became common. Took much effort, but it worked. I still have that driver, but it rarely gets used. Vintage Stanley Yankee Spiral Drill Model 135A Made in the U.S.A w 1 Philips Bit | eBay

The other driver that worked for larger screw setting and hole drilling was this device known as the drill bit brace. It also required much effort, but did the job. Still have it as well along with a set of self tapping bits and like my other hand tools, seldom gets used. https://www.etsy.com/listing/120407...2913&msclkid=5fd90a6ca78a16baf7706f09e5d87b71

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2010
I’m not sure about your boat but on the H 26 and the H260 there are glasses in aluminum plates that have been tapped and threaded… yours are most likely the same way

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
A brace and bit was the name we knew for that tool. Very powerful tool. And a timeless classic. It's a shame to let one get away. Not everything electric is better. You could bear down on a fastener that would make an electric smoke. Antique? Not yet!