When and Where is the Sale, Sale, Sale

Aug 21, 2020
Oday 40 Dalhousie Yacht Club
when and where are the best sales from marine supply store websites ???

New to sailing with a recent boat purchase and a laundry list of repairs and maintenance items to complete during the off season (Canadian Winter).

Seeing as I have the time, I thought I'd try to save the money.

A few items on the list:

GFlex 655 Expoxy
Interprotect 2000 Barrier Coat
VC17 Antifoul

Lemar hatch seals

Running rigging

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
My 2 cent.... there is NO ONE marine supply stores and websites for the BEST sales (prices). Some have great sales different time of the year,, so you will have check when. Good thing about the internet is it is really easy to shop for the best prices. Sometimes I just like to buy from my local marine supply store. Don't forget to attend boat shows for great deals and get ideas for your next project and find something that will find useful but have not thought about buying.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Welcome Don...hope you enjoy the forum.
I have found Binnacle.com to have good buys sometimes.
Fisheries Supply, Defender, and Johnstown Distributing have web sites and price sensitive products from time to time.

Probably the better Every Day Competitive Priced site is right here at the SBO website. index.php
Good luck with your quest.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I understand you are trying to learn. But your question is like my son asking, "Dad, when's the best time and place to get a great deal on a new skateboard, trucks, bearings and wheels? Oh, can I get some cheap Frosted Flakes, too?"
Really, I'm not trying to pull your leg. Why would boat equipment and materials be any different than buying any other commodity? Would you ask this question about anything else you intend to purchase?
In any event, most all of us have found that doing you own online research is always the best based on when you want and/or need something.
For example, a few years ago I needed a new water heater for our boat. I spent a good few hours looking online, and found prices all the way from $350 to $243 for exactly the same product! Then you have to add shipping & handling and tax(es) because YOUR location may and in most cases will, make a big difference.
I moved to Canada four years ago. I needed a new opening portlight. I knew the manufacturer was in Florida. But after doing my research, I found that buying from the States and import duty to get it here was far more expensive than buying it from a trusted vendor in Ontario, and I live in BC.
And no one here on this forum, except the owners of stores (or like Defender's YEARLY Labor Day sale), can possibly know when a store will initiate a sale.
Good luck, happy hunting.

Lazy1

Aug 23, 2019
Catalina 22 13425 A driveway in Pittsburgh
Create accounts with the big vendors and they will email you when they have sales. Finding stuff that is less expensive consistently, is generally a sign of lesser quality.
Cheaping out on stainless steel is consistently disappointing.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Over the years I have settled on checking right here first. It is usually within a few dollars of the next best deal but these guys often call me to double check that I got the right part. This happened again just this past week but they have done it for me several times. And on more than one occasion they have found parts that I was unable to locate.

The guys at Jamestown Distributors are also willing to talk you through a purchase and make sure you order the right thing the first time.

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
Also, depending on where you live/shop, you will often find that buying from a bricks-n-morter store is just as cheap as buying online. After factoring in shipping and time, you need to assess knowledge which is often best found in face to face contact with a real technician.

Often the Value Added for local knowledge makes the final price much less expansive that other distant sources. OTOH, when you already "are your own expert" then you just want to find the cheapest deal on the product, just accept the truth that warranty and technical support may be problematic on a good day.

I buy a lot from Fisheries, and have scored huge savings during the West Marine 3 day (or similar) special sales. It pays to stay on their email lists. For example a year ago I replaced both housetop winches on the WM BOGO Lewmar sale. Heck of a deal... I have friends with wholesale accounts and they could not beat that deal.

Watch forums here and at a couple other major sailing sites for reports on these types of semi-secret sales, too.
We all help each other when we can.... boat maintenance is expensive enough as it is, already. :(

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
The big sales, in terms of items on sale, usually coincide with the big boat shows in the spring and fall. Other more limited and themed sales occur throughout the year.

Go to the websites and sign up for their emails.

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
In the past, I have bought stuff from the US stores listed above and shipped to the border. Courier brokerage fees are ridiculous and always makes it more expensive to shop in the US and ship to a Canadian address. If you can get something shipped USPS then it might be worth it. It looks like you are in St. Catherines and close to the border, I would normally say ship to the border but that doesn't work these days.
The Canadian stores I normally buy from are:
Amazon is usually more expensive than one of the above sites but is worth checking as well.
There are usually sales in the spring but it is hit and miss. Sails can be cheaper October to December when the lofts are slow.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
West Marine with 2 for 1 on cleaning supplies and wenchs. Defender normally beats Fisheries Supply.

Apr 27, 2010
Beneteau 352 Hull #276 Ontario
There's the DockShoppe in Toronto The Dock Shoppe
Don't know if the West Marine Shop in Toronto is still open?
There's the Rigging Shoppe in Scarbourgh Rigging Shoppe Ltd.
Fogh Marine in Toronto Fogh Boat Supplies | Store | Power and Sail - Boating Electronics, Boat Electrical, Boat Plumbing, Boating Comfort
Holland Marine Mississauga Fogh Boat Supplies | Store | Power and Sail - Boating Electronics, Boat Electrical, Boat Plumbing, Boating Comfort

Have Purchase items from all of them.

US sites used to be good when the dollar was on par but not with 30 cents on the dollar.

Love the Dalhousie Port entrance when the power dam opens up and creates a standing wave at the entrance.

Last edited: