Wheels for inflatable boats... recommendations? Opinions?

genec

Dec 30, 2010
Pacific Seacraft Orion27 HP: San Diego, M: Anacortes
OK, looking for a set of retractable wheels for my inflatable dink. I have a
Zoom by Zodiac 260 Aero Air Floor which has a wood transom. I hit beaches from rock covered to sandy to paved launch ramps... I am looking for suitable fold up wheels. I figure nothing will go over rocks... just have to carry the dink... but sand and ramps?

I have seen these Brocraft flip up plastic wheels... which price wise are quite nice, and they appear to be something that is well out of the way when flipped up... but I wonder about their operation in sand... they look like toy wagon wheels.

I have seen larger EZ Load "plastic wheels" that look like they would roll over just about anything... but due to their size, I am wondering if they might be in the way of the outboard. And pulling pins to lock them up or down just doesn't seem like something that is going to be very "doable" while bobbing around in the water.

Any of you salts got better suggestions/comments/etc?

genec

Dec 30, 2010
After a bit of internet searching... I seem to have found a pretty decent product... at least by the looks of the thing, and after viewing various videos.

I have not yet bought it, but the price sure seems right.

Take a look... Any of know of or use the Beachmaster? It looks like just the ticket.

https://www.beachmaster.co.nz/

genec

Dec 30, 2010
I have these on my 10' inflatable and they work fine for most beaches.
Yeah, those are the Brocraft flip up plastic wheels... which seem to deploy and retrieve well, as well as are small enough to be out of the way... and have a great price. How are they on sand and small rocks?

I believe they would work quite well on launch ramps and hard pack surfaces... but beyond that, I am not sure. What do your mean "most beaches?"

DaveJ

Apr 2, 2013
Catalina 310 Niagara-on-the-Lake
I've had the same ones on my RIB for about 4 years now, they are all that I hoped for. $99 at WM in Toronto area.
Pulls through a gravel parking lot easily...great on a hard sand beach, not sure about real soft sand.
Just remember to put the wheels up before you go on a 2 day cruise, not that I would do that....again...

Cheers

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
I've had the same ones on my RIB for about 4 years now, they are all that I hoped for. $99 at WM in Toronto area.
Pulls through a gravel parking lot easily...great on a hard sand beach, not sure about real soft sand.
Just remember to put the wheels up before you go on a 2 day cruise, not that I would do that....again...

Cheers
Or you could connect them to a generator and have plenty of power! ;>)

I find them to work well on any reasonably firm surface. I wouldn't want to pull them across a big dry fine sand beach but for the gravely beaches we have around here they work fine. Basically, if your feet are sinking in then the wheels will too.

genec

Dec 30, 2010
Or you could connect them to a generator and have plenty of power! ;>)

I find them to work well on any reasonably firm surface. I wouldn't want to pull them across a big dry fine sand beach but for the gravely beaches we have around here they work fine. Basically, if your feet are sinking in then the wheels will too.
Ah, a local... Yeah, wet sand, gravel and small rocks... Those plastic Brocraft wheels are about 1/3 the price of the Beachmaster wheels from NZ... so if they work well enough, outstanding.