Wheel to Tiller Conversion on I-28

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 30, 2010
Islander 28 Bayview
Just purchased an Islander 28. Love the boat, but... the wheel pulpit takes up half the cockpit! Not a big fan of the wheel anyway. Has anyone out there done a wheel to tiller conversion? Or can you point me to someone who has?

Thanks!

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
B4 you do it, WAIT. Stands for "What Am I Teaching." Really. I've seen people makes mods to boats right when they get them. My recommendation is to wait a while. Perhaps actually take the wheel off when you're in port to open up the cockpit. You might also want to consider a smaller diameter wheel. Give it some time.

Then, if you're still convinced you NEED or want to do it, go ahead.

In most boats with wheels, there is a backup tiller location that connects to the rudder post and/or quadrant. Find yours and figure out how to do it.

There may also be an Islander 28 Association website or Yahoo or Google group. Have you tried a Google search on Islander 28?

Very, very nice boats.

Good luck.

Jan 30, 2010
Islander 28 Bayview
Waiting is a good thing. Stu. A voice of reason. Part of the waiting will involve research though!

CalebD

Jun 27, 2006
Tartan 27' 1967 Nyack, NY
While I'm also not a fan of sailboats with wheels in the less then ~ 35' range I agree with Stu. Wait.
Find a smaller wheel. Set up your emergency tiller. Do this before you commit to a fairly major overhaul of your rudder system.
You might actually get used to the wheel after time. I have a tiller on my boat so I'm always going through a love/hate relationship when I'm on a friends boat with a wheel (mostly hate!).
There is a fair amount of hardware associated with a wheel that would want to come out of the boat. It may not be such an easy conversion.

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
B4 you do it, WAIT. Stands for "What Am I Teaching." Really. I've seen people makes mods to boats right when they get them. My recommendation is to wait a while. Perhaps actually take the wheel off when you're in port to open up the cockpit. You might also want to consider a smaller diameter wheel. Give it some time.

Then, if you're still convinced you NEED or want to do it, go ahead.

Stu, you spoiler. I was just about to offer to send him my stick in exchange for his wheel. :D

Dec 1, 1999
Hunter 28.5 Chesapeake Bay
Couple of thoughts: (1) waiting and using the boat as is is certainly worthwhile. (2) the emergency tiller on most boats that have a wheel will probably not give you the same control and feel the boat would have with a standard tiller with no binacle/pedestal in the way. (3) my guess is that you will reduce the eventual re-sale value of your boat if you remove the wheel and assocated steering gear in a way that cannot be replaced at a later date.

Status
Not open for further replies.