Wheel Pilot Malfunction.

Sep 25, 2008
Catalina 30 MKIII Varuna Boat Club
Good morning all,
I have a Simrad WP32 that crapped out on me yesterday and can't get through to Simrad customer service until they open on Monday. So, I'm hoping maybe a fellow sailor might have had a similar problem and I can "revive" it for today and tomorrow's sail.
While setting up a tack, the controls on my wheel pilot became unresponsive and the Standby/Auto button indicator light started flashing as if it's in Standby. It refuses to come out of Standby and no combination of buttons worked, there were no other indicators and I even went full power down and reset with no luck. It seems frozen in whatever mode it locked into and will not function at all.
Any ideas or experiences?? Thanks.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I don't know anything about your system, but here is an interesting forum about troubleshooting a similar problem. Perhaps there are some useful suggestions of what to look at.
Simrad WP32 problem

Good luck.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Sep 25, 2008
I don't know anything about your system, but here is an interesting forum about troubleshooting a similar problem. Perhaps there are some useful suggestions of what to look at.
Simrad WP32 problem

Good luck.

-Will (Dragonfly)
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, these two issues in the link don't apply to this problem. I guess it's unique, since I haven't heard from anyone that had a similar experience. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to suck it up and steer the boat myself :). Happy Sailing.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Unfortunately, these two issues in the link don't apply to this problem.
There was a mention of the unit going into standby mode due to under power problems that could be caused by several problems from blown fuse, low battery to corroded connections. I thought those suggestions, though the symptoms might be different, would be worth looking into.

I also noticed your question has gone unaddressed for some time. I want to help keep your post current, in case someone with experience hasn't had a chance to see it yet.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Sep 25, 2008
Thanks Will. There was no loss or diminished power in my case. At the time, my engine was still running in neutral, I was only 15 minutes out of my slip and my batteries (now 2 years old), were fully charged. This is one of the reasons I am baffled.

Sep 17, 2012
Morgan 383 Fairhaven, NY
Most electrical issues on a boat are due to poorly done wire connections, ie. excessive resistance. So you might have enough volts & amps to light the unit up, but not enough amperage to run the WP. So - battery to breakers to the WP and back to the negative buss to battery. Lots of places to have the green corrosion where wire meets wire. Usually easier to run a new heavy tinned wire than troubleshooting connections. Don't forget the negative return side though, that can be just as green. Maybe you could "hot wire" (new + & - wires to battery) the WP temporally to see if it starts working. If it doesn't you know its the unit.

BTW, Simrad gave up on wheel pilots a long time ago. I think I bought the last W32 in No. Am. Don't expect too much help from them.

Sep 25, 2008
Most electrical issues on a boat are due to poorly done wire connections, ie. excessive resistance. So you might have enough volts & amps to light the unit up, but not enough amperage to run the WP. So - battery to breakers to the WP and back to the negative buss to battery. Lots of places to have the green corrosion where wire meets wire. Usually easier to run a new heavy tinned wire than troubleshooting connections. Don't forget the negative return side though, that can be just as green. Maybe you could "hot wire" (new + & - wires to battery) the WP temporally to see if it starts working. If it doesn't you know its the unit.

BTW, Simrad gave up on wheel pilots a long time ago. I think I bought the last W32 in No. Am. Don't expect too much help from them.
Thank you. I appreciate the advice. Its logical. I will proceed as you suggested. It threw me when it happened so suddenly. Happy sailing.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
[EMAIL said:
rpell1@msn.com, post: 1563523, member: 79145[/EMAIL]]... I have a Simrad WP32 that crapped out on me yesterday and can't get through to Simrad customer service until they open on Monday. So, I'm hoping maybe a fellow sailor might have had a similar problem and I can "revive" it for today and tomorrow's sail.While setting up a tack, the controls on my wheel pilot became unresponsive and the Standby/Auto button indicator light started flashing as if it's in Standby. It refuses to come out of Standby and no combination of buttons worked, there were no other indicators and I even went full power down and reset with no luck. It seems frozen in whatever mode it locked into and will not function at all.
Any ideas or experiences?? Thanks.
I suppose it is a waste of ink to ask if you have the owner's manual or looked online for it?

Sep 25, 2008
Hi all,
Here's an update on my Simrad Autopilot malfunction. I started a trace at the wheel pilot controller and when I reached the connections to the line that extends to the breaker panel, I began to yank on each crimp connection. Lo and behold, one was just loose enough to let go on a good yank. After continuing all the way to the panel, I found only this one connection faulty. So, I cut it out, soldered the connection and shrink tubed it, followed by a coat of liquid tape. Overkill? Perhaps. But, I don't think that connection will ever give me a problem again. Of course, I did a full test on the unit to make sure all is good.
I want to thank everyone that offered an opinion on this problem. There are times when these somehow stimulate the mind to find the solution. Thank you all and Happy Sailing.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Congrats Ralph. Nothing more satisfying then finding a solution That works.
Fair Winds.