Wheel Conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tom

Has anyone ever heard of converting the Cat 22 from a tiller to a wheel?

L

LaDonna Bubak - Catalina Owners

Don't

Hi Tom~ I'm usually one to say "To each his own" but I wouldn't convert a 22 to a wheel. First of all, you'll be giving up ALOT of "feel" if you do this. Plus with a small boat, you really need all the maneuverability you can get and I don't think you can turn the wheel & get the expected response as fast as you can by pushing the tiller. Secondly, I don't really think there's room under the cockpit to install a quadrant & required cable, etc. Thirdly, it would greatly reduce the space in that already tiny cockpit. You may be thinking you would be adding space but in reality, the tiller can be pushed out of the way while at anchor or the dock whereas that darn wheel will always be there. And lastly, but most importantly, the cost of the wheel package would be so tremendous that you could buy a completely new suit of sails for about the same price. Not to mention that it probably wouldn't add enough to the value of the boat to make it worthwhile, whereas a new suit of sails would. Just my opinion. :) LaDonna

L

Laurie

I saw an older Cat22 recently that was a wheel conversion; for the record, it is quite a sight to see. It took up most of the cockpit and seemed a bit like overkill. To each their own, I guess. It was sitting in a boat yard midsummer and looked unused for a long time.

D

Dave

Doesn't make sense

If you want to spend the money Edson has a wheel system for the C22 doesn't use a quadrant but rather a push pull cable set up. Having owned a 22 I wouldn't invest the 1200+ bucks in a wheel. Perhaps maybe converting from a swing to a wing keel but not a wheel. Dave

J

john

wheel

don,t. i know the big shiny distroyer wheel is a beauty, but it looks like you would be standing all day to use it, not to mention boom to head interaction

Status
Not open for further replies.