Wheel control lines

drdanj

Jun 15, 2009
Hunter 290 Channel Islands
A recent email from Catalina Direct warned about the "cross wire idler" mechanism under the Edson pedestal potentially failing. It shows a system of sheaves on a plate. Apparently both the sheaves and the plate itself, due to pressures and forces, can fail, and catastrophically. They offer a replacement part. So I went to the boat, cleared out the aft berth, took off the housing under the pedestal and found this very different setup (see photo). Yes, I had seen this before when I bought the boat, but at the time, not knowing it was different, didn't think about it. If you ignore the wiring bundle in the photo, mine is a direct line system, look at the two big thick knobby covered lines going to the back (left side). No complicated pulleys and the plate, while thick and solid, is irrelevant, it isn't holding anything. What I don't know is whether this is a PO's replacement or original equipment, but it looks good and the parts seem in new condition. The housings over the lines show no wear. So, if this is a concern, consider this set up. I'm wondering if the owner who twice ran my boat (it's a 1983, hull 114) on the Transpac in the mid-90s may have made this conversion. Does anyone else have this setup?

Attachments

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Looks like the P.O. has already addressed the potential problem.

There's a comment about the CatalinaDirect communique in the C36 owner's group https://www.catalina36.org/forum/te...on-steering-failure-info-post-catalina-direct

It appears that your system is quite different... so you might find some technical info on that site that could enlighten you.

You might give Catalina Yachts customer service (not CatalinaDirect) ask them about both steering systems.

drdanj

Jun 15, 2009
Hunter 290 Channel Islands
Joe, yes, and my hunch is that the PO's solution was a lot less expensive than Catalina Direct's. :)