Wheel autopilot for 1995 MKII 36

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 19, 2012
Catalina 36 Deltaville
Hey all,
We are shopping for autopilots. We would like to put a wheel pilot on. We have found a RAYMARINE SPX-5 Wheelpilot with p70 Control Head that is in our budget. Good for displacement up to 16,500 lbs.

We are requesting some advice on installing a wheelpilot like this. Where is the easiest place to put the computer unit and compass. We plan on putting the display unit above the helm next to wind and depth gauges.

Thanks for all the help.
Robert

Jun 10, 2012
I have a 1995 C-36. #1446. I found the a below deck autopilot works best. The Raymarine ST60 is great. Holds well in a following sea and tracks great. The wheel pilot is at the top of the limit in the C36.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Wheel pilot

I understand that you have already decided on a wheel pilot. I had one for years on a C36, and it worked well. It had some annoying quirks, and wouldn't perform in heavy weather, but otherwise was fine, so in terms of price/performance, not bad.

Mine was an AH4000. The wheel clutch was convenient as a wheel brake. It was annoying at times, as it would slip out, un-clutch, during operation, at times.

I thought Raymarine was the only game in town. I can't find anything else.

Jun 19, 2012
Catalina 36 Deltaville
Good information, thanks,,, The reason we were looking at wheel pilots was for convenience and cost. We currently have a CeTrek 770 but not working correctly. I'm not locked on a wheel pilot, just looking for a repair or replacement that is not too costly for our CeTrek rudder drive. Any ideas? Guess wheel pilots are a bit light for a 36.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Haven't joined that org yet,, am looking for help here.. Thanks,
Robert,

I think I understand, perhaps you've already been there. If not, you should, 'cuz they have had many discussions about your very issue. In more detail, about your specific boat, than you'd find here, because the boat weight is far in excess of what Catalina published. You may know this already.

But the C36 skippers are among the best of the bunch, like these fellows, so it never hurts to "diversify." I learn a lot from different forums.

Good luck.

Sep 9, 2011
Catalina 320 Alameda
My apology for this vendor pitch and I have no personal experience, so this is information only. From the 320 forum - Dan Gerhardt [C250@mydurango.net] a retired geologist in Durango, CO, may be able to repair your Raymarine, Autohelm, or Raytheon autopilot. If he can't repair it, he may offer to buy it for parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.