What's your anchor set-up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Nancy

We want to replace the current Danforth we are using, with something that will be well-suited for anchoring in harbors along Long Island Sound. Does anyone have experience with other types - we have seen people using Bruce anchors and Bruce clones, but I was told that we would have to change our bow roller to make it work. What has worked best for owners of similar boats on this board, not only the anchor but your bow set-up, chain/rode, etc.??? We don't have a windlass.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
Nancy, The Bruce and Bruce clones I

Believe are shorter in the shank than the plows. With the wide range of bottoms in the sound You need an anchor that is very versatile. Way out at Orient on the sound side with the strong currents the bottom is mostly gravel in other places you can get mud.

A

Ariel

Anchor set-up

Nancy, The anchor roller on the P36-2 was made for a 35 lb. CQR. We have a 35CQR and had good luck with it from Maine to Texas with two summer cruises in the Sound.

Oct 25, 2005
- - Greenport ,NY
Anchor Set Up

We have a 33-2 and have been using a Delta 20lb anchor this year with excellent results.It fits right into the bow roller with no problem.

L

Lee

Bruce anchor

I have a 33-2, I use a 22lb Bruce (the real thing) with 33 feet of chain on a 5/8 200 ft nylon line. My second anchor is a 16 lb bruce that fits in my anchor locker with its own chain and line. Bruce anchors will hold on as little as a 3 to 1 scope. If I change any thing it would be to add a plow type anchor stored in the lazarette for the rare occasions I anchor in grass. There is no better sound at the end of a day than the sound of chain rattling over the bow roller, more chain is always better. My bruce fits perfectly in my factory roller. I sleep better at anchor then at home! The two large Danforth nock-offs that came with my boat sit in my shed waiting for hurricane duty.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
I anchor with a 35 pound CQR and 30 feet

of 3/8 chain and a 5/8 nylon rode. So far we are happy with that BUT we have not been exposed to the worst conditions. Kinda like insurance. You really don't know how good your policy is until you file a claim.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
CQR

My primary set-up is a 25lb CQR that came with the boat....I am in the process of getting 50 feet of chain as the p/o had only about 3 feet of rusted mess. Have not use the anchor yet, but from my reading I would have purchased a 35 CQR. Nancy, where do you sail out of? Greg Mt. Sinai, NY

Oct 25, 2005
- - Greenport ,NY
On the Anchor Subject

I am wondering if any one with a 36-2 has an anchor windlass. I have been thinking of installing one on my 33-2. It seems the anchor locker set up is the same on both the boats. Any suggestions on make and model and where on the fordeck it is mounted. Thanks

Aug 17, 2005
Pearson P33 Ft. Myers, Fl
Windlass

New to my P33 is an anchoring "system". Recently installed a custom anchor pulpit and 900GD Horizon windlass. New Delta 22lb with 200ft 1/4" HT chain and Fortress #16, 200ft 1/2" three strand (have not decided how much chain to add to this rode yet). All testing has gone very well, have yet to ride it over night. Constructive criticism welcome. John Wandering C's 1969 P33, #114

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Anchor chain

Pardon the ignorance, however windlass's are new to me.....use to hauling it up by hand! How do you size the chain to the windlass? My unit is a Simpson-Lawrence that is now Lewmar that has a "stacked" barrel with the chain portion with teeth on the bottom and the regular winch-type barrel on top. Thanks as always Greg

Oct 25, 2005
- - Greenport ,NY
Anchor Chain

Greg, The chain is sized to fit on the bottom part of the windlass,the rope line will run on the top of the windlass,the part that looks like a regular winch barrel.You will have check the model you have to see what chain size and type it calls for, proof coil or BB chain as the links on the chain are different. Is it possible the next time you are at your boat to take photos of the windlass from the deck and from what you see in the cabin below the windlass and post them? I am looking to instal one on my 33-2 and wanted to see how yours is mounted.Thanks. Forrest

shorty

Apr 14, 2005
Pearson P34 Mt Desert, ME
chain

My P-34 came w/a 35lb CQR & 8' chain. I replaced chain w/40' of 3/8" this spring, and so-far so-good. It is a lot to pull up though. I'm 54 and in pretty good shape. It's managable, but definitely requires effort. Backup is a 15lb Fortress which came in very handy w/a grounding last week. Much easier to handle a 15 lb fortress, as a kedge, from the dinghy, than something heavier. That rode has 40' 5/16 chain which is 2/3 the weight and fine for most anchoring conditions for a P-34.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
You can splice a length of 1/2 line to a grab

hook and use your sheet winches for weighing you anchor. Just lead the anchor rode to a winch and pull until the chain reaches the winch then take the hook forward and get a link of the chain and pull that line.

T

Takwita

P323 setup

Primary setup up 35lb CQR 60Ft 5/16 chain( dumped the 30ft 3/8 too heavy) 300ft 5/8 nylon Secondary setup 25lb Claw (Bruce knock off)60ft 5/16 chain 150 1/2 nylon Third setup 22lb Danforth 30ft 5/16 150ft 1/2 nylon. Purchased the CQR in 1982 new for $175 have ridden out 60+ blows with just the CQR Have seen Danforths pull the shank right out. Snap in two

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Picture

Forrest I will take a picture of it tonight when I am at the boat Greg

N

Nancy

Bruce

Thanks, everyone! Some good ideas for sure. I was told that a Bruce 33 will fit in the P36-2 anchor locker - can anybody confirm? Also, if you are keeping your anchor on the bow roller, is there some special hardware to hold it in place?

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Nancy, I keep my CQR plow on the bow roller

and just take a turn of chain around the mooring bit after I drop the chain into the stopper. That's just a slot that stick up at the inboard end of my roller.

N

Nancy

Bow Roller

I would very much like to see photos of an anchor fastened on the bow roller. Also, are you able to attach to a mooring without the anchor chafing the mooring lines?

J

John

I like the delta

I have aC30 and anchor out every weekend and ive used a 35lb CQR type anchor with about 30' of5/16 chain 200'5/8 rode .The CQR holds very well but in hard sand it s hard to set .The 35ld CQR is very long and layed over my anchor locker lid ,it was very hard for my sons to pull it on deck (two much lenth hanging over the roller) .I have a windless but John and little jake are 9 and 10 years old and i dont want to get anty hands stuck.I liked the bruce anchor It fit on the roller on my bow sprit but I saw a test on about 20 diffrent anchors pulled with a truck in the sand and by a tug boat in the water and the bruces holding power was very low The CQR holding was not very hi ether.I went with a delta 35lb with 30' of chain I think the 22lb delta would hold fine but bigger is better I like to sleep.The delta 35lb needs to be pulled out with the boat every time .I find the shank dug in the bottom 3' all the time I think it realy sticks I have FX 16 & 11 both with about 30' of 5/16 chain and 1/2" rode the fx11 seems to light to set well the fx16 is much better .my roller is a U #1 from WM (its the largest one.) I would not sleep with one danforth .The danforth can be pulled out by a tide shift and do not reset well. you can set two apart180 degs but its a pain with two anchors down. John

Oct 25, 2005
- - Greenport ,NY
Bow Roller

Ariel, When you use the windlass where does the chain go? Do you keep the anchor locker lid open and let it feed in there or does it go below deck? I am looking for a place to mount a windlass on my 33-2

Status
Not open for further replies.