What’s wrong with this picture?

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Why does everybody think that this boat does not have both sails set correctly (on port) for starboard jibe?

Nov 8, 2010
Power of suggestion. :)

Here's a link to a larger image http://magazine.boatus.com/publication/?m=53247&l=1#{"issue_id":554426,"page":0}
For sure the boat is fully on starboard gibe. Thats what a 105 looks like when slightly off the wind. If that boat was going DDW WoW the tackline would be up about 3 feet and there would be a huge curl in the asym.

Plus, if the main was on the starboard side it would be brightly lit by the sun.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
What's wrong with that picture? It is fake, that is what is wrong. Sorry to do this but I have issues with "photographers" who doctor up their images to gain dramatic, but fake, effects. Allow me to explain with an imaged that has been "doctored" But before I do that, we photographers live by ethics that no images should be doctored to perceive that which is not real. But not everyone lives with that unwritten rule.

OK, the image. The image color is false, basically over saturated to increase the drama. The golden hue is representing two parts of the day that are the best for photography; early morning and late evening. We call that the golden hour. That time when the sun casts a golded hue. However, that hue does not color cast like in the image. The human eye can discern the hue but most cameras cannot. The camera will compensate for the "lack of light" and allow more light to be collected on the film or sensor. This to achieve a properly exposed image. For this image, it would have been a bright, low contrast image.

Next, the image has been cropped to get rid of the clutter. That is OK in some instances. In this case, I am OK with the crop.

So here are my three examples to show what I mean.

First image was a rainbow that popped up while I was working on my antenna. What my eye saw and what my camera recorded are two different things.
Untitled-3.jpg

I saw a very bright and colorful rainbow. So I got my camera and took a shot before the rainbow faded. This was the better of the shots I took. Not very impressive I must add.

Next I decided to get rid of the clutter in the image and enhance the rainbow color. That was acheived by cropping and then over saturating so the colors stood out. More dramatic.
Untitled-2.jpg

The trees are green and the top of the houses show solar panels which would not be very useful on a rainy day. Better but not dramatic enough.

So, I decided to add a false "golden hour" effect by reducing the exposure. Now we are talking dramatic. The colors of the rainbow stand out. The contrast is makes it look like early evening when the sun is going down. The hue is golden. A Pulitzer prize winning image. NOT!
Untitled-1.jpg

This is what my eye saw. Now as dark as it may seem but the colors and brightness of the rainbow. I was so stunded at the beauty of the colors and definition of the seperation of colors. Very rare. I see rainbows all the time, but not like this one. So I decided to "doctor" the image to make it more dramatic.

I believe that BoatUS did the community a disservice by selecting an image as the winner when it was doctored. Again, I have no issue with the cropping, but the colorization of the orange hue is so obvious. My guess is the photo was taken with a cell phone and "fixed"

This is my opinion and only that. I could be wrong, but I don't think I am that far off of what is seen in the picture. Many will not care and will see it as an ooh-aah moment. In this case it is. But when I looked at the other photos in the zine before I through it away, I saw much better, and real, images that should have won.

Just my 2¢ worth.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
A little colour grading might fix that picture. Why people think that saturating the shot with orange implies a nice evening tone is beyond me.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
While the original was not quite as dramatic adjusting the contrast brought this to what I remembered at the time of the shot, a truly mystical moment standing in knee high water during a light rain at daybreak, the sun peaked through a ribbon of blue sky for about 30 seconds, I just happened to be there shooting fall colors.
Mornign Glow.jpg

Now back to Navpods by DIY

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Why does everybody think that this boat does not have both sails set correctly (on port) for starboard jibe?
Clay,
It’s the curl of the spinnaker that seems off to me. I’ve decided it’s an optical illusion. My mind still sees it both ways but normally I see it with the spinnaker away from us which would put the clew on the wrong side of the forestay. That’s all I’m talking about.

As far as what Brian says, I don’t know. I’ve doctored pictures to illustrate what I saw and not necessarily what the camera actually recorded. In fact, I have posted two images on this forum where I said look what I saw. The images show what I saw. Not what was actually recorded.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
While the original was not quite as dramatic adjusting the contrast brought this to what I remembered at the time of the shot, a truly mystical moment standing in knee high water during a light rain at daybreak, the sun peaked through a ribbon of blue sky for about 30 seconds, I just happened to be there shooting fall colors.
View attachment 161249
Now back to Navpods by DIY
Spectacular!

Nov 8, 2010
Clay,
It’s the curl of the spinnaker that seems off to me. I’ve decided it’s an optical illusion. My mind still sees it both ways but normally I see it with the spinnaker away from us which would put the clew on the wrong side of the forestay. That’s all I’m talking about.

As far as what Brian says, I don’t know. I’ve doctored pictures to illustrate what I saw and not necessarily what the camera actually recorded. In fact, I have posted two images on this forum where I said look what I saw. The images show what I saw. Not what was actually recorded.
Ah. Kinda like a M S Escher drawing that flips as you look at it! ;^)

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I don't have any problem with the idea of manipulating a raw image to become something it wasn't originally. That is art. Artistic talent isn't about being in the right spot at the right time with the right equipment. It's about creativity, the eye and a sense of design. Given a set of one hundred photographs the artist has taken, an artistic eye can pick out the one with great composition and say, legitimately, "this is my artwork" or he can say, "let me turn it into something more artistic".
It's only cheating if the artist is misrepresenting what they are showing.

-Will (Dragonfly)

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Now that you mention it I can see the Spinnaker luff flying both ways too, but the clew is clearly on this side of the headstay, so starboard tack.

As for the doctoring, I'm with Brian. The hue gives the impression that it's evening. The problem is that the shadow of the headstay on the clew lines up such that the sun should be in frame. The only way to have the shadow there and the sun out of the frame is if the sun is higher up, not in the evening. In this way the hue isn't really representing the actual memory of an evening, but a dramatic exaggeration of the conditions.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
This is a late afternoon or early evening shot. The view is looking west. If it had been taken earlier, the rocks of the breakwater would be lit. Also, I’m betting this a summertime shot and the “glow” could be somewhat real. The last few yrs, we’ve been inundated with smoke from wildfires in BC and Eastern WA. This shot definately shows the smoke. So with the smoke and late sun, I could see it..

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
This is a late afternoon or early evening shot. The view is looking west. If it had been taken earlier, the rocks of the breakwater would be lit. Also, I’m betting this a summertime shot and the “glow” could be somewhat real. The last few yrs, we’ve been inundated with smoke from wildfires in BC and Eastern WA. This shot definately shows the smoke. So with the smoke and late sun, I could see it..
That's helpful info. The dark area at the front of the spinnaker is the sun going through 2 layers of fabric. That is causing the illusion.